Vertex XY axis frustration

I’m totally frustrated about this printer for the moment.

I have had, and still have, allot of trouble with the X and Y axis. I did everything I could find on the internet. They are very easy to move by hand when the belts are off, but with the belts on, they move not smooth at all. When I move them (both) across the platform by hand, I can feel places where the tension gets thougher. They make hell of a lot noise and it seems like the pullys on the motor are not rotating centered, thats what causes the harder tension spots though I think. I can, because of that, see the rods bent, because of to much tension at the point the pulley on the motor is a little more down. But how the hell do I fix this? I tried reinstalling the pulleys on the motor already, but they are still not straight. What can I do?? I think the pulley and belt tension system just sucks.

Also, if I may say, I find that Velleman only responds on things that could damage their reputation. But never when I ask a question about something, cause I actually asked this before already. I don’t want to blame anybody, but I know that their are allot more people that could help me here.

Not happy AT ALL with this printer now. Urgh…

Well many of us got it right so it can be done. Don’t give up!

[quote=“Andreas15”]They are very easy to move by hand[/quote]Without the belts they must move easily from side to side when tilting the printer.

[quote=“Andreas15”] with the belts on, they move not smooth at all.[/quote]Check if the belts are not too tightened. And not overlapping when there are 2 belts on the same pulley. Tilt the motors a bit to release the tension of the motor belts.

Check on the [color=#408040]Wiki [/color]if you didn’t recently, I’ve modified it with a step by step explanation.

I have the belts so loose they almost come out, I’m not sure on my motor belts, could they be to tight? Maybe, but that wouldn’t explain the “not straight pulley” on the motor shaft. I did all you say in the wiki, for mare than 100 times I think

Don’t lose heart Andreas! Getting the XY rods parallel and perfectly true is the most difficult part of building the printer. Essentially you can’t proceed until you’ve got this step perfect, there’s no point as it will just mean a lot of grief while trying to print.

Do the tests Raby suggests, so all belts off, check carriages move full length of rods without any tight spots - and I really mean NO tight spots!

OK, this bit is done. Now check that the belts to the stepper motors aren’t too tight or pulling at an angle - you should be able to see if the belt is pulled to one side of the pulley wheel if it is. These belts do not need to be so tight they strain the stepper motor, make sure there’s a little slack in them.

Finally reconnect the belts to the pulley wheels on the rod. Do this one by one, starting with the loosest possible setting on the belt clamp. Check for tight spots as you move it - try and work out where the resistance is coming from. When the belts are too tight, they can affect how parallel the rods are. You’ll notice this by tightening one belt up to the max and moving the head (normal to the rod) towards it. Quite often you’ll meet a slight resistance as you get close to that belt, indicating the belt is too tight and is pulling the two rods together.

One final check is too make sure the printer frame (clear polycarbonate sheets) does not bulge anywhere at the corners, indicating it’s not been fastened together correctly. Again, this will mean that the rods are not sitting perfectly parallel to one another.

I know it’s tricky, but the printer really is capable of some outstanding quality prints once you get it right. Unfortunately a £600 printer does have to be assembled at home by unpractised hands, so there’s always going to be some pain associated with that!

[quote=“biscuitlad”]Unfortunately a £600 printer does have to be assembled at home by unpractised hands, so there’s always going to be some pain associated with that![/quote]Yes but it’s all the more rewarding when you finally get it right;)

I really did try that all, and I can’t seem to find anything that is wrong. But gonna do it again now.

I know it is frustrating if something doesn’t work after you spent a lot of time.
If the pulles are not properly centered, there’s probably not much you can do besides asking for a replacement.
Can you measure the misalignment of the pulleys? Are the rods straight?

My first stepper movement on XY axis was not good as well, I then disassembled everything and paid a lot of attention to getting it perfect.
Raby is right, the reward is great when it finally runs!

Erik

I dissasebmled the printhead for a few times already though…

I noticed something wierd now, everything is running very smoothly without belts, when I tension the y axis belts, without getting the belts on the X axis yet, the X axis movement is only smooth in the center, at the ends it locks up, So i guess the belts are pulling the X axis rods together at the ends, the problem is that when I want to move the belt tensioners a little closer to each other, it isn’t smooth in the center anymore…

h60, how can I measuer how much they are off? I can only see it when I see them turning at a certain speed. I see the rods bending a little to, but that is caused to the incorrect pulleys on the motor shaft (sometimes the belt force gets more, sometimes less = bend?)

Thanks for the help already, it’s frustrating as hell, but not giving up yet haha

Can you post a video of the bending? So we can see if it is caused by a eccentric pulley?

Firstly that’s not weird, that means incorrect assembly! Secondly this is progress, you have tracked down at least one of the problems!

I know you read through all the posts about this, but you really have try to tighten the Y axis belts to just before the point you start to feel resistance. If this really means the belt is at risk of slipping out of the clamp then there is a problem elsewhere. But most people with this problem overtighten their belt clamps and this is what causes resistance when travelling towards that belt.

Firstly that’s not weird, that means incorrect assembly! Secondly this is progress, you have tracked down at least one of the problems!

I know you read through all the posts about this, but you really have try to tighten the Y axis belts to just before the point you start to feel resistance. If this really means the belt is at risk of slipping out of the clamp then there is a problem elsewhere. But most people with this problem overtighten their belt clamps and this is what causes resistance when travelling towards that belt.[/quote]
I tried that, and my belts are really loose. Now I have another problem (I’m expecting it now, it is less frustrating lol) When I print something circular, it doesn’t come out circular at all. When I print bigger objects the infill doesn’t touch the outside (perimeter), but only on one side of the part…?

Check the small belts that go up from the motor pulleys. If these are not tight you will not have circular circles…

Also check if one of the motor pulleys is not loose.

Did that all, this is the most frustrating thing about it, everything I can find on the internet, doesn’t work. I have the short belts at a freaking damn high tension, and it still does it, think my belts are going to break one day, oh well… Retightend pulleys already

Indeed if the belts are tight it could be the pulleys on the motors that are slipping or the pulleys on the rods.

All tightend those…

Ok, I think I got it almost setup now, it’s making noise like hell, but I don’t mind, It does run good. Circles are still off for about 0,1mm on some places, is this normal? It’s a small part, about 11mm diameter?

Can you post a picture of a circle?

hmm, have you noticed that while the printer is doing small infills and the motors are making short back and forth movements (it sounds like a powerdrill) but the head is not really moving in that direction?