Usb p8055

I would like to key microphone and send and receive audio thru the cloud. Any suggestions?
Jeff

I am not sure I understand your problem correctly.

Is it that you want to use the K8055 USB Interface Board to connect your computer to a radio transceiver to send and receive CB or Amateur VOX signals?

Or do you just want to use it to switch the “transmit” button and use your sound card to do the actual audio work?

I can see it easily used as an automatic CW keyer.

I would like to operate a cb transceiver thru the cloud. I want the p8055 to poll base mike and key remote radio when base mike is keyed ,with a soundcard for audio. And receive audio from the remote radio. The remote radio would be installed inside computer case with p8055. Using tcp/ip to route instructions. Jeff

Whatever you do, please make sure that the resulting setup doesn’t violate any FCC regulations. I have an Extra Class Amateur license, so I’d be well covered for doing any of the below. I am not familiar with the regulations regarding CB users modifying or building their own equipment.

That out of the way, microphones with PTT button are usually connected with a 4 or 5 pin plug. The PTT switch is a double switch that when released, has the microphone audio line disconnected and the RX line shorted to common (ground). When pushed, the audio signal is connected and the TX line is shorted to common. Like in this diagram:

If that is the case with your microphone, connecting the microphones common and TX lines to the K8055’s ground and a digital input should be sufficient to detect with the K8055 when PTT is pressed on that microphone.

On the other side one or more of the open collector digital outputs, eventually used with relays or some NPN transistors (for switching higher current), will work to replace the PTT switch there.

Now about communicating with a remote K8055 board, you might be interested in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7448

I have since fixed some bugs in it and will shortly upload a new version of that project, but the existing version may at least get you started. One of the problems you’d be facing is that there is absolutely ZERO security or access control in that protocol. In order to communicate with such a “server” process, I would strongly advise to setup a VPN and have the k8055server process bind only to the internal VPN interface. Or have your own WEB service contact it via the loopback interface.

FCC Says there must be a human operator present for transmission.

Will be using Cisco VPN.

Does that refer to the transmitting station or the control station? In your case, they would not be the same.

Transmission. The radio can not be modified. I can use my own microphone. Must use speaker out for a line out. A similar situation would be packet transmission. Fcc allows 9kb/s baud rate. Permission must be granted for over 30 minutes continuous transmission. Jeff

OK, I read up on the rules a little. Since this is an international forum, everyone please note that the following is regarding regulations within the United States of America only. Similar rules and regulations usually exist in all European and many Asian countries though.

The FCC regulations don’t seem to specifically cover LAN communication, so it may or may not be considered “wireline”. But they seem crystal clear about not using radio signals for the remote control part and not crossing property lines.

Title 47 Part 95 Subpart D § 95.419 says:

[quote]§ 95.419 (CB Rule 19) May I operate my CB station transmitter by remote control?

(a) You may not operate a CB station transmitter by radio remote control.

(b) You may operate a CB transmitter by wireline remote control if you obtain specific approval in writing from the FCC. To obtain FCC approval, you must show why you need to operate your station by wireline remote control. If you receive FCC approval, you must keep the approval as part of your station records. See CB Rule 27, §95.427.

© Remote control means operation of a CB transmitter from any place other than the location of the CB transmitter. Direct mechanical control or direct electrical control by wire from some point on the same premises, craft or vehicle as the CB transmitter is not considered remote control.

[48 FR 24894, June 3, 1983, as amended at 57 FR 40343, Sept. 3, 1992; 63 FR 68976, Dec. 14, 1998][/quote]

As a side note, getting an Amateur License isn’t very difficult. That would allow you to run repeaters, IRLP stations and even your own homebrew equipment. Then again, that equipment (or any Amateur equipment) still cannot be operated on CB frequencies, so this may not accomplish what you actually have in mind.

Sorry for the bad news.

yeah but the station out of nebraska is using the internet for live transmissions. They have the fcc rules that they are operating under posted. I will have to remember site. They are letting people transmit from computer mikes. It is legal in the internet

So you try to implement something like livecbradio.com in Lincoln, Nebraska? Where a remote internet user was able to use the keyboard and soundcard to control the CB-radio’s PTT, microphone and speaker?

Just wondering,

Why would you want to do something like this?

[quote=“Wrong Way”]Just wondering,

Why would you want to do something like this?[/quote]

Why would people put hours, days or maybe even years of their hard work out there for everyone to download for free, as open source?

I think you misunderstood the question.

Why would you want to operate a CB over the internet.

[quote=“Wrong Way”]I think you misunderstood the question.

Why would you want to operate a CB over the internet.[/quote]

Maybe I did, maybe not.

The idea to operate a radio station remotely can have multiple different reasons.

CB radio by its nature (frequency band, permitted transmitter power and transmission mode) has limited range and the actual range has a lot to do with the physical placement of the antenna within the terrain. Being on top of a mountain peak would be the preferred location. If the OP is located at the bottom of a valley, using a remote transmitter at a higher location would have obvious advantages.

Another reason could be to allow fellow CB users to use his station to reach local friends. HAMs operate/use repeaters and even IRLP stations for precisely that.

Similar but slightly different would be the attempt to promote CB radio and introduce new people to it. Normally one needs radio equipment to even try this hobby. If you have a computer and internet connectivity, you could try it for free and using quite expensive equipment at that.

How about community name recognition? We all have an ego of some kind, don’t we?

Last but not least, don’t forget the most important reason to climb a mountain. Because it is there!

I am a Radio Amateur as well as an open source developer. Rest assured, a lot of the above motives apply just the same. Getting things out there to enable others, introduce them to the hobby by example, for name recognition or just because it can be done.

Now I understand.

Thanks for explaining.

talked to fcc. the attendant must key the remote radio. If the attendant keys the radio just about anything can be broadcast. So I need to prompt the attendant with a led. Jeff

What is it you intend to broadcast anyway?

me

Well, if that is so, I guess you don’t even need a K8055 at all. Just something on the display of the remote computer, indicating to the attendant to press/release PTT, should do just fine.