The Velleman K8200 rules!

Glad to help you, fitchie71@hotmail.com !

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here is the completed extruder with E3D hotend (1,75 mm filament & 0,25 mm nozzle):

Not visible in the picture, but the inside extruder hobbed bolt is replaced by a modified one:

For as long as this link is still up to date:

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Hobbed-Bolt-M8x60-3D-Printing-Prusa-Mendel-RepRap-Mendelmax-/231299673004?pt=Kunststoffe_Chemie&hash=item35da88ebac&_uhb=1

[quote=“fitchie”]Hi all,

For several months I’m using the K8200 printer and want to tell you that I am very satisfied with the device !
It was a pleasure to complete the kit, the Velleman support was great and the printer is ideally suited to tweak.

Below you will find a first picture of the completed printer, including the plexiglass cover. Shortly I’ll post some more detailed pictures and a brief explanation about the performed upgrades.

[/quote]

Cette photo est un fake, que l’utilisateur montre une vidéo en fonctionnement !!!

If you just make the effort to read the whole topic, you see that this is an original Velleman K8200 printer. Don 't be fooled by the plexiglass hood.

There was a lot of time spent on the finish and that explains the look of the printer, but both the mechanics and electronics are completely based on the Velleman kit, only the E3D extruder is foreign.

Feel free to ask if you want to know something specific…

hy fitchie,
honestly, what did you realy print with the printer shown in this post ?
The pics you are showing are only a super exposal model of the K8200 in a big modern flat, the printer is without grease or tired gears since the begining of the post ? !
All seems so nice, shiny and bright in your printer, even perfect white material prints…
Let us have doubts about your post about the machine, because I think that we never had the quality you are showing.
If I mistaken or I’m wrong in this post, then you are the world luckiest K8200 owner LOL
So long

Hello Fitchie,

You have raised the bar on what you can do to the K8200.

I envy your machine.

Would you please provide the stl file for the holder that is holding the extruder.

Thanks,

Pumpkinspice

[quote=“pumpkinspice”]Would you please provide the stl file for the holder that is holding the extruder.
[/quote]
Here you are :slight_smile:

For the E3D V5 please use this file:
thingiverse.com/thing:221997

For the E3D V6 please use this file:
thingiverse.com/thing:349095

Meanwhile, I use 2 upgraded K8200 devices, one with the V5 (3mm filament) and one with the V6 (1.75mm filament). There is no big difference in printing quality between both hotends. The V6 is a little bit shorter than the V5, so the total height (in so far as relevant) is a little bit higher.

Actually the gears are definitely worned out, but the picture to which you refer was made just after assembling the new extruder with the E3D V6 hotend.

If you invest the same time as I did to build your printer, I’m sure you can get the same quality. And because the aluminium parts are anodized, grease residue can be easily removed.

I do not know where you live but if you ever visit Antwerp, please let me know, I’ll invite you for a demonstration !

It has been quiet for a while but finally I did finish the previously announced extruder adjustment. A brandnew E3D V6 extruder for 1,75 mm filament with 0,25 mm nozzle is in place. At first sight there is not much difference with the E3D V5, only the length is different (shorter) and the heatsink is refined.

To make use of 1.75 mm filament in stead of the stock 3.00 mm PLA, some adjustments on the feed area and hobbed bolt of the extruder were required to avoid thread slippage.

Because I was tired of messing with glue and hairspray a sheet of Kapton tape was applied on the heated bed.

Here is a link where the Kapton tape can be ordered:
plastic2print.com/nl/kapton- … cover.html

After calibration, the first print has just started. When the job is finished I’ll publish some pictures…

Hi

Some very impressive modifications!

Just wanted to say that after a very slow build between my daughter & myself we finished our K8200 a few weeks ago. Worked first time! Performed exactly as in the manual - no problems.

Very impressed with the kit and the finished product - well done Velleman!

Have since downloaded free version of Sketchup2015 with extension to export .stl files and designed and successfully printed a couple of items including a repalcement plastic bearing bracket for the parcel shelf in my car. Again impressed with how well the whole process worked from concept to finished product in my hand.

Great piece of kit!

[quote=“Sanders3D”]
Very impressed with the kit and the finished product - well done Velleman![/quote]
I fully agree ! Velleman has scored a great product !
Recently I needed technical support because my controller was not working properly, and within a few days the problem was solved with a smile (thanks Pascal).

Oh yes, and here is the first picture, hot of the press:

Sliced with Simplify3D, layer height 0,10 mm, settings as follows:

Source:
thingiverse.com/thing:31331

Hi fitchie,

very good work, as always!

regards
walo

Thanks Walo !

While cleaning up my office today I found a gear printed with the Velleman 0,60 mm stock hotend (on the right - white PLA).
It seemed like a fun challenge to reprint the gear with the upgraded K8200 with the E3D 0,25 mm hotend (on the left - silver PLA).

This is the result:

[quote=“fitchie”]A picture is worth a thousand words, so here is the completed extruder with E3D hotend (1,75 mm filament & 0,25 mm nozzle):

Not visible in the picture, but the inside extruder robbed bolt is replaced by a modified one:

For as long as this link is still up to date:

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Hobbed-Bolt-M8x60-3D-Printing-Prusa-Mendel-RepRap-Mendelmax-/231299673004?pt=Kunststoffe_Chemie&hash=item35da88ebac&_uhb=1[/quote]

Hey, fitchie,

did changing the hobbed bolt made any difference in any way? I think everyone would be interested, if you took part in print quality compare topic by cantax, and could print an owl. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Linas_capas”]
Did changing the hobbed bolt made any difference in any way? I think everyone would be interested, if you took part in print quality compare topic by cantax, and could print an owl. :)[/quote]
After changing the hobbled bolt the smoothness of the extruder has been increased. This is particularly noticeable in flat areas.
Please send me the link to the .stl-file for the ‘reference owl’, you’ll you get a picture in return.

thingiverse.com/thing:18271

Here is the link to the owl, we all printed it 0.5 scaled. Can’t wait to see your results

Here you are:

Specifications:

[ul]Sliced with Simplify3D
Scaled: 50%
Nozzle size: 0,25mm
Extrusion width: 0,30 mm
Layer height: 0,1mm
Filament used: 1,75 mm Ultimate Silver
Heated bed: 55°
Extruder: 220°
Print time: 2h27m[/ul]

[quote=“fitchie”]
After changing the hobbled bolt the smoothness of the extruder has been increased. This is particularly noticeable in flat areas.[/quote]

Hobbed bolt is a really good upgrade and it’s cheap, too. I recommend it to everyone.

@fitchie: Your Owl print looks fantastic. Even on the tips of the feathers, right above the feet, there’s absolutely no Oozing visible. How did you do this? I thought that’s a part of the print you can’t get that good because you can’t fight the physics of FDM. Maybe it’s the ultimaker PLA you are using.
Did you ever compared print quality between um pla and a cheaper one?

Is there a reason you printed it with a 0.25mm noozle at 0.4mm extrusion width? On other prints, you used a 0.25mm nozzle at 0.3mm extrusion width.
How about printing it with a 0.4mm noozle at 0.4mm extrusion width? Wouldn’t that work, too?

Settings, settings, settings, … :slight_smile:
I’ve done maybe 100 testprints, each time with minor adjustments in the settings.

Yes, I tried several kinds of PLA and the differences in quality are really visible. This is the PLA I’m using now:
plastic2print.com/nl/1-75mm- … -75kg.html

Simplified3D did suggest to use 0.3mm extrusion width with the installed 0.25mm nozzle, and this is still the setting I’m using. Thanks to notice the typo, the original post is corrected.

Nope, since the 0.4mm extruder will make sausages with a diameter of 0.4mm, the adjacent track will not sufficiently stick. You’ll need at least and extrusion width of 0.5mm.

I am new here but i did find a lot of interesting things here already.

This is a real nice K8200 mod.
I don’t own the printer but this is what i want.
Next mounth i get some extra money and buy this printer.

One question:
You can buy a ‘Standalone-controller (VM8201)’ with the printer but i think this is too smal for me.
Can i install the ‘Smart LCD Controller XXL’ on the K8200? This is a nicer one with a bigger screen and has a graphical interface.
I saw photo’s of the K8200 with this display working but on other sites they say that it is NOT compatible with the K8200.
Witch one must i beleve?
If it is compatible, what steps must i do to make this work?
Is there a youtube video or a detailed instruction of the installation of the XXL controller on the K8200?

Thank you