Question setting up multiple K8067s with K8089 using K8050

I’m trying to set up multiple K8067 universal temperature sensors using the K8050 and being displayed on the large digital clock k8089. The aim is to have one in the attic, one in the living space and one outside. Using the remote control, have the ability to switch between channels to check each temperature. This is what I’ve done for 2 K8067’s, but its not working.

V+ from the clock to the sensors is disconnected and is coming from V+ from the K8050. Ground for both sensors is coming from channel 1 and then channel 2 respectively, also going back to the clock ground. Both output’s are in parallel and go back to input of the clock. When on channel 1, the temperature read out is fine, there is about 1.8v between output and ground.
When on channel 2, the voltage between ground and output is 9v and does not give a display of the temperature.

The supply to the K8050 is 12v and gives output of 10.8v which is a bit low for the temperature sensors. But pushing up the voltage to 15v gives 13v at the temperature sensor but there is still no read out on the 2nd sensor.

Am I going about this the wrong way. Would it be easier to supply V+ from the clock to all sensors and have a relay operating a N/O switch in series with each sensors output to the clock? This would mean I would need something like K6714 but its all getting a bit complicated.

Also, what is the difference between independent output and rotary output? Sorry, I’m not an electrician, I’m an engineer so this doesnt come naturally to me. Cheers

I need to expand on this.
I actually found a loose wire from the 2nd k8067 ground.
The problem now is both universal temperature sensors are common. Each one reads out when the channel is selected, but because they are both common to ground and output they both half the overall output. Once connected I had double the output voltage between ground and output giving a double room temperature. Adjusting the pot on one or the other is the same and can be adjusted correctly, but obviously they wont work independently fro each other. Is there any way of reversing the polarity from the K8050, so the grounds can be connected to V+ and the indivuald channels can be used for V+ for the sensors? Or do I need a series of relays connected in series with the out line to the clock?

First:
Independent mode: more than one output can be active simultaneously.
Rotary switch mode:only one output can be active at the same time. When you select a different output, the previous will be turned off.

Next: It is normal that what you are trying to do does not work. When you interrupt the ground but the +V stays connected, the unit no longer has a ground reference and the output starts to ‘float’ (undetermined level).

Why not simply leave all sensors connected to the +V and GND, and use a rotary switch to choose which sensor output you connect to the clock.
Using the K8050, this would require relays.

[quote=“VEL417”]First:
Independent mode: more than one output can be active simultaneously.
Rotary switch mode:only one output can be active at the same time. When you select a different output, the previous will be turned off.

Next: It is normal that what you are trying to do does not work. When you interrupt the ground but the +V stays connected, the unit no longer has a ground reference and the output starts to ‘float’ (undetermined level).

Why not simply leave all sensors connected to the +V and GND, and use a rotary switch to choose which sensor output you connect to the clock.
Using the K8050, this would require relays.[/quote]

That’s great thanks, it wasn’t clear to me the difference between rotary and independent, thanks for clearing that up. Yes rotary switches makes sense, I don’t want more than one on at the same time. After I wrote this I figured out that what I was doing was never going to work as effectively I put 2 sensors in parallel at the same time. Because I’ve now bought the K8050 I have now ordered the K6714-16 with the 16 relays. I will be able to use the combination for other applications too. What I should have ordered in the first place was the VM118, 8 outputs and 8 relays and remote control. Why is it that here in the UK, the VM118 is not supplied in kit form? This would have been perfect for my needs, but I don’t like buying things already built up.

Sorry, this is a commercial decision beyond our control.

I know this is a silly question, but does it matter the thickness of the cable being used? I’ve got 3 core 26AWG cable which is extremely thin. I’ve tested it on one sensor and its working but does it make any difference?

Not really as it is a current loop sensor.

Thanks, but you’d advise something a little thicker?

Should work fine as is.

VM118 does come in a kit sort of.
You could look at the K8056 (more functions then the VM118), K8058 and the RX433N (links below)
K8058 http://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?id=351282
K8058 http://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?id=351463
RX433N http://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?id=370780

[quote=“Wrong Way”]VM118 does come in a kit sort of.
You could look at the K8056 (more functions then the VM118), K8058 and the RX433N (links below)
K8058 http://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?id=351282
K8058 http://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?id=351463
RX433N http://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?id=370780[/quote]

Thanks. But I’ve now bought K8050, K8049 and K6714-16. Not as compact but certainly versatile. What’s got me excited is the VM201. Do you envision this being offered as kit form? Thaniks

Sorry, no. This circuit is too complex and some parts are not available as trough-hole components.

That’s a pity, thanks for letting me know though.

Is there any software available on Android or is it just on I phone?

Sorry, iPhone only.
We are not aware of any third-party Android apps, you might want to check.

Is there any software available on Android or is it just on I phone?[/quote]

The only thing I can see on Android is this one for the USB experiment board.
play.google.com/store/apps/deta … Wl0ZWQiXQ..

I would therefore imagine that this would also be compatible with the K8061. Digressing slightly:

I have K6714-16 and was wondering which would be the best computer interface board to purchase to work with the relay board. What are the main differences between the K8000 and the K8061. I’m assuming the K8000 is older due to the serial port. Also, is it possible to use the K8061 without knowing any coding?
If using the K8061, do I have to remove the jumps and re-insert the IC for the corresponding bank of inputs for the K6714-16.
Cheers

K8000 has been obsolete for a while.
K8061 is NOT compatible with K8055.
Please note that K8061 and K8055 are level 5 kits and they require extensive programming skills.
We do not recommend to purchase these kits if you do not have the necessary skills, it will lead to dissapointments and unfortunately we cannot assist with code development or learning how to program.
The IC’s are not needed to interface the open collector outputs of K8061/K8055 with the K6714.
They are only required if the relay card is equipped with TTL inputs.

[quote=“VEL417”]K8000 has been obsolete for a while.
K8061 is NOT compatible with K8055.
Please note that K8061 and K8055 are level 5 kits and they require extensive programming skills.
We do not recommend to purchase these kits if you do not have the necessary skills, it will lead to dissapointments and unfortunately we cannot assist with code development or learning how to program.
The IC’s are not needed to interface the open collector outputs of K8061/K8055 with the K6714.
They are only required if the relay card is equipped with TTL inputs.[/quote]

Thanks. That’s fair enough but you have to start somewhere. I have purchased the experimental board K8055. I didn’t think you needed to use code with the android interface. I will use the source code as reference and build from there. I appreciate the advice on here is mainly for hardware issues. incidentally, the Big digital clock is marked as advanced level 5, but I found it easy to build.

Cheers

No, if you only use the Android interface, you do not need to write code.

Ok thanks.