Mac OSX Support

Hello,

Your version of Vertex Repetier Host is only Windows compatible. Do you plan to release a Mac OSX version of it? Or will you publish config files for Cura or Repetier Host for Mac?

Tank you.

It look like Repetier is not updating their version for OSX.
We will enquire with them.

[quote=“Edurobot”]Hello,

Your version of Vertex Repetier Host is only Windows compatible. Do you plan to release a Mac OSX version of it? Or will you publish config files for Cura or Repetier Host for Mac?

Tank you.[/quote]

You don’t need the Velleman version of Reperier Host. I downloaded Repetier-Host ver 1.0.6 from the Repetier website and it works just fine with the K8200 on my PC. That version supports two extruders.

The Repetier website says they support OS X 10.5 and higher for the MAC. Google “Repetier-Host MAC”

Why would the config files for cura and slic3r be different for PC and MAC? They are not Operating System specific.

Crossover For Mac works for me. Currently printing via SD Card but I will try to enable the serial interface as soon as I have time for that.

I don’t think the poster is interested in a virtual machine environment.

I’m currently running Repetier Host for Mac (downloaded from the repetier main site), and I updated the Slic3r engine to 1.1.7, which is the latest stable version of Slic3r for Mac. Remember to configure Repetier Host to use the external Slic3r instead of the built-in version by going to the Preferences panel of Repetier (see image).

What we need is the proper Slic3r settings. Perhaps somebody with a windows system can publish them for us.

I am using OS X Yosemite on 642-457 a MacBook pro 2013 to upload the firmware. I work with Arduino projects daily and have no issues uploading to other Arduino’s.

[quote=“robv”]

I’m currently running Repetier Host for Mac (downloaded from the repetier main site), and I updated the Slic3r engine to 1.1.7, which is the latest stable version of Slic3r for Mac. Remember to configure Repetier Host to use the external Slic3r instead of the built-in version by going to the Preferences panel of Repetier (see image).

What we need is the proper Slic3r settings. Perhaps somebody with a windows system can publish them for us.

[/quote]

I’m using Slic3r version 1.1.7 on a PC. Here is my config.ini. Be aware that these are not necessarily the exact settings you would want to use, but they are a start. For example, I print with a layer thickness of 0.3mm which is not what most people would want to use. Changing the layer thickness will interact with other parameters and require other changes. However, I am getting good results with these parameters as long as I stick to 0.3mm.

generated by Slic3r 1.1.7 on Fri Dec 5 11:56:29 2014

avoid_crossing_perimeters = 0
bed_size = 200,200
bed_temperature = 60
bottom_solid_layers = 3
bridge_acceleration = 0
bridge_fan_speed = 100
bridge_flow_ratio = 0.75
bridge_speed = 70
brim_width = 0
complete_objects = 0
cooling = 1
default_acceleration = 0
disable_fan_first_layers = 3
dont_support_bridges = 1
duplicate_distance = 6
end_gcode = ;\nM104 S0 ; turn off heated bed\nG91 ;Make coordinates relative\nG0 E-3 ;Retract extruder 3mm\nG0 Z5 ;Move up 5mm \nG90 ;Use absolute coordinates again\nG0 X100 Y200 ; Move platform to print removal position\nM84 ; disable motors\n;
external_perimeter_speed = 70%
external_perimeters_first = 0
extra_perimeters = 1
extruder_clearance_height = 20
extruder_clearance_radius = 20
extruder_offset = 0x0
extrusion_axis = E
extrusion_multiplier = 1
extrusion_width = 100%
fan_always_on = 0
fan_below_layer_time = 60
filament_diameter = 2.85
fill_angle = 45
fill_density = 15%
fill_pattern = honeycomb
first_layer_acceleration = 0
first_layer_bed_temperature = 60
first_layer_extrusion_width = 200%
first_layer_height = 100%
first_layer_speed = 50%
first_layer_temperature = 190
g0 = 0
gap_fill_speed = 30
gcode_arcs = 0
gcode_comments = 0
gcode_flavor = reprap
infill_acceleration = 0
infill_every_layers = 1
infill_extruder = 1
infill_extrusion_width = 120%
infill_first = 0
infill_only_where_needed = 0
infill_speed = 50
interface_shells = 0
layer_gcode =
layer_height = 0.3
max_fan_speed = 100
min_fan_speed = 35
min_print_speed = 10
min_skirt_length = 3
notes =
nozzle_diameter = 0.5
only_retract_when_crossing_perimeters = 1
ooze_prevention = 0
output_filename_format = [input_filename_base].gcode
overhangs = 1
perimeter_acceleration = 0
perimeter_extruder = 1
perimeter_extrusion_width = 100%
perimeter_speed = 30
perimeters = 2
post_process =
print_center = 100,100
raft_layers = 0
resolution = 0
retract_before_travel = 2
retract_layer_change = 1
retract_length = 3
retract_length_toolchange = 10
retract_lift = 0
retract_restart_extra = 0
retract_restart_extra_toolchange = 0
retract_speed = 65
seam_position = aligned
skirt_distance = 6
skirt_height = 1
skirts = 2
slowdown_below_layer_time = 5
small_perimeter_speed = 30
solid_fill_pattern = rectilinear
solid_infill_below_area = 10
solid_infill_every_layers = 0
solid_infill_extrusion_width = 110%
solid_infill_speed = 50
spiral_vase = 0
standby_temperature_delta = -5
start_gcode = ;\nG28 ; home all axes\nG90 ; use absolute coordinates\nG21 ; set units to millimeters\nG92 E0 ; Reset extruder position\nM82 ; use absolute distances for extrusion\nM109 S190 ; wait for temperature to be reached\nG1 E10 F400 ; prime the nozzle\n;
support_material = 0
support_material_angle = 0
support_material_enforce_layers = 0
support_material_extruder = 1
support_material_extrusion_width = 0
support_material_interface_extruder = 1
support_material_interface_layers = 0
support_material_interface_spacing = 0
support_material_interface_speed = 100%
support_material_pattern = rectilinear
support_material_spacing = 2.5
support_material_speed = 40
support_material_threshold = 46
temperature = 190
thin_walls = 0
threads = 4
toolchange_gcode =
top_infill_extrusion_width = 100%
top_solid_infill_speed = 40
top_solid_layers = 3
travel_speed = 150
use_firmware_retraction = 0
use_relative_e_distances = 0
vibration_limit = 0
wipe = 0
z_offset = 0

My experiences with outdated repetier host for Mac were terrible. Prints were bad. I’m now using Cura for OSX and everything works well. Search the forum for details.

I have abandoned Slic3r for the PC and now use Cura as my preferred slicer. The latest Repetier Host for the PC has both Slic3r and Cura imbedded.

I have abandoned Slic3r for the PC and now use Cura as my preferred slicer. The latest Repetier Host for the PC has both Slic3r and Cura imbedded.[/quote]
I have no experience with the pc version, it is probably awesome. But please keep this on topic, we were talking about Mac support.

[quote=“VEL417”]Dec 4: It look like Repetier is not updating their version for OSX.
We will enquire with them.[/quote]
Have you heard anything from them yet? it has been a few weeks already!

Repetier informed us they will update the Mac OSX version ‘this year’…

ok, well that is something at least.

[quote=“robv”]
I have no experience with the pc version, it is probably awesome. But please keep this on topic, we were talking about Mac support.[/quote]

The point is that Cura is better than Slic3r no matter which OS you use.

JEEZ… You MAC guys sure are paranoid!

I confirm this: I use Cura on my Mac with the K8200 and the K8400, and it work well! No need of repeatier-host.

Here is my Cura config file for K8400 on a Mac: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6956510/K8400_Cura_config.ini

[quote=“artcominio”]

JEEZ… You MAC guys sure are paranoid![/quote]
I absolutely agree that Cura is better than Slic3r. I asked the original question when I had just assembled the printer and I couldn’t get it to work properly on my Mac. It was until later that I found out that using Cura was the best approach.

But that doesn’t change anything about the topic per sé, as the need for a proper guided installation for Mac users is something that Velleman should have done in the first place. As I believe, they promoted the Vertex as a printer that could be used on Windows or OS X, yet for the basic update of the firmware you already required a Windows machine. By now, users have already managed a working setup their Vertex with Cura for OS X, and shared their settings which is awesome and a great contribution to the community. Perhaps Velleman could learn from these experiences and include these findings in their installation instructions and/or product sheet, because not every user is capable of coming up with a proper configuration.

It basically comes down to this: Velleman either changes the requirements, or they come up with a proper basic configuration.

[quote=“Edurobot”][quote=“artcominio”]

[/quote]

I confirm this: I use Cura on my Mac with the K8200 and the K8400, and it work well! No need of repeatier-host.

Here is my Cura config file for K8400 on a Mac: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6956510/K8400_Cura_config.ini[/quote]

Is this a setting i can upload in Cura or should i do it manualy?
If so how do i do it?

I solved it! :slight_smile:

Has anyone done multicolor on Cura with 2nd nozzle?

I don’t know/understand why Cura receives so much glory.

I get WAY better prints with Slic3r than with Cura. Slic3r simple gives better tuning options in my opinion/experience. And in Slic3r i’ve also got the ability to hook it up to octopi using the build in API.

out of the box cura might get better prints, but when pushing it, Slic3r is by my favorite free slicer. Haven’t tried the fancy 150 euro paid version of slicers though. The comparison vids you see on youtube are all based on older versions.

The only issue with slic3r, is that with a fat STL loaded you don’t want to change the parameters, since it tends to crash when it’s calculating the infill while changing the infill. It seems to be impossible to disable the ‘auto calculate gcode’ option.

[quote=“to3dornottobe”]I don’t know/understand why Cura receives so much glory.

I get WAY better prints with Slic3r than with Cura. Slic3r simple gives better tuning options in my opinion/experience. And in Slic3r i’ve also got the ability to hook it up to octopi using the build in API.

The only issue with slic3r, is that with a fat STL loaded you don’t want to change the parameters, since it tends to crash when it’s calculating the infill while changing the infill. It seems to be impossible to disable the ‘auto calculate gcode’ option.[/quote]
Experiences seem to differ. But are you using Repetier Host for OSX or for Windows? This thread is about the OSX support, and the advised Repetier host is hopelessly outdated and not actively supported by Velleman. Therefore, Repetier Host in combination with Slic3r is not a viable option for Mac users at the moment.

What would be the benefit of using the newest version in your opinion in regards to the old? (besides the skeinforce slicer in the old and now the Cura slicer settings in the newest)?

I can point the elephant in the room; the problem is the lack of support from Velleman for Mac files :slight_smile: . I can provide my settings for slic3r.

I am using a mac, and I was, as well, using Repetier host, along with the latest version of slic3r. (and I was using Cura) Besides the control-elements of the printer might seem a bit outdated, the repetier host for mac was working flawless for me. Outdated or not.

I now enjoy the wireless freedom of octopi icm the printer. But that’s not repetier-host version-related, that’s more of a convenience to have the printer located somewhere random with only a power source as a requirement to have it running.

With cura at rather default settings for mac and the outdated version of repetier host (without the updated slic3r) i can understand why you would favour Cura, but with the latest and greatest well tuned slic3r in the ancient repetier host, it’s better than Cura IMO.