K8203

Looks like the K8200 will get an 1.75mm extruder option, K8203
theelectronicsshop.co.uk/con … k8203.html

Any meaning getting this if you have the E3Dv6 upgrade?

What i gather both 1.75mm and 3mm has both pros and cons so maybe get it to have dual option in one printer :slight_smile:

[quote=“Duragz”]Looks like the K8200 will get an 1.75mm extruder option, K8203
theelectronicsshop.co.uk/con … k8203.html

Any meaning getting this if you have the E3Dv6 upgrade?

What i gather both 1.75mm and 3mm has both pros and cons so maybe get it to have dual option in one printer :)[/quote]

If you already have an e3d v6, why not simply get the 1.75mm metal parts?
The mounts available can be made to fit even for 1.75mm filament.

What i am wondering if there are any strong pros in using 1.75mm since this option is on the way?

The dual option was a joke about have both extruders online at the same time :slight_smile:

[quote=“Duragz”]What i am wondering if there are any strong pros in using 1.75mm since this option is on the way?

The dual option was a joke about have both extruders online at the same time :)[/quote]

1.75mm filament is more common, cause is uses simpler extruder components…
3mm is better for printing flexibles …

It’s always going to be easier to go from 1.75mm to 0.5mm than from 3mm to 0.5mm.

Any word on price or availability on this ?

Anybody got there hands on one yet ?

Fundamental questions:

While I assume the quality would be better on a finer nozzle I assume the printing speed would decrease ?

Can I use existing 3mm filament with this ?

tks
Noel

Ndillane you will need to switch to 1.75 filament.
The nozzle is 0.35 so the resolution should be a lot better.

thanks again for info
Noel

Also waiting for the availiblity of K8203.
In one of the manuals for the direct extruder a fan duct is visible.
Does anybody know where to get the STL file for this fan duct???

Just got mine and preparing for installation (want to consume my 3 mm Filament first).
Question: The nanual mentions Right/Left orientation because of thhe option to add a second extruder. Will this mean that a different cobntroller board is needed for this? When it will be available?

This is excellent news - I’m looking forward to the k8203.
though, many aftermarket option presently exist,
and I can attest to some excellent fine quality prints with a 'mismatch" 1.75mm dia PLA in a 3mm stock feeder and stock hot end.

The only technical difficulties with this mismatch,
are you must carefully calibrate your vaporisation rate - you can get failure to feed problems, and it requires somewhat more manual attention than with 3mm ABS or 3mm PLA.
You will also need to recalibrate more often - as it is possible for the blow-back port to become obstructed, which cause failure to feed.
Or, the filament can even harden up to the feeder (I have had this happen, which cause failure to feed).
The hot end nozzle also is better to be small for small project, and large for large project (an easy change to make, was to install quickdetatch cable instead, so as to easily switch out the entire head assembly -
some aftermarket 'bluray lazer etcher" attachment attach in this manner, and function somewhat like the CNC, or a regular print move in ‘dry run mode’).

If only the feeder applied some pressure to the filament, a mechanical grabbing motion etc, this would greatly reduce many of the feed-failure problems (and, using high quality filaments helps a lot too) = )

I wish, the hotend nozzle, was more like a longer conic firehose shape; minimize the potential surface area that molten plastic can stick to. - the rounder hotends collide with irregular layer heights, which cause the layer to be pulled by the nozzle (and wrecking your print).

The K8203 seems now to be widely available in the ectronic shops.
Is there anybody who can share the experienc the quality improvements with K8203 direct extruder???
Pictures from printed objects would be very nice.

It would be great to get some real world feedback on the improvements this new extruder brings
Anybody any experience yet
tks
Noel

The local lab has recently acquired 2nd hand rapid prototypers, a lazer cutter,
and one of the k8203s.

The significant differences? Slightly larger print area, 1 - 3 minutes quicker printing (mostly a software difference and parallel assembly)
easier mounting of the CNC attachment arm for router-ing, and easier option to mount multiple extruders/canabalised hot glue guns = )

The z axis movement is smoother in smaller increment movements- 0.5mm moves are much smoother.

Apart from that, printing large objects still takes a long time, even with the k8203, and with optimised and hollowed objects.
Still a 2-18hr prospect for the 197mm cube project,
and polychora such as split compound void curve, 127-cell, and tetrahedral points… they are still difficult to achieve with a well-calibrated machine (and, matching 1.75mm filament feeder).

Check your filament measurements too… many “1.75mm” are highly variable, being between 1.2 and 1.89mm dia, which causes some auto-feed problem…

It would be even better, if the nozzle height approached 0.1-0,01… and the extrusion made more of a film than discrete ‘lines’…
also, that the film was more consistent flowrate…
if only the nozzle were less of a round “mound” shape, and more like a cone; less surface areas for ‘splotches’ to come into contact with, and destroy some prints… = )

anyone expecting the k8203 to be 'Form+1" or scintilated lazer/lazer ablation quality, or resin extruded…
it is not that quality. But, it is a vast improvement over the earlier repstrap, or many flimsy plywood ones from Alibaba (we’re onto the 3rd of a competitor 'torture test" machine.

I posted the results of 0.5 mm nozzle and 0.35 Nozzle on my facebook Profile. It was worth the money!

@LCD - that is some nice calibration!
can your rig print void polychora, specifically a 68mm^3 127-Cell?

[quote=“5of8tadjunct”]@LCD - that is some nice calibration!
can your rig print void polychora, specifically a 68mm^3 127-Cell?[/quote]
Never tried that, but the new head allow much better bridging (my opinion). I made a lot of cases for old computer peripherials and it appear to allow longer bridges than before. At least the 25 mm of a SD card width can be bridged without bending of single threads.

Hello LCD,

Can you share your repetier configuration? With my K8203 it seems that the pulley try to push too much filament into the nozzle, is there anything ti change there?

Regards

K8200man

Did you change the firmware?

Hello,
yes i did, but i think it is linked to the slicer configuration. Does anybody has some parameter for the K8203?