K8200 initial firmware problem or even part issue

Dear support,

after buying a K8200 on a fair in Hannover about 2 1/2 years ago, starting to assemble it about 2 years ago I didn’t get it to work yet, but since I didn’t try very hard before, I am now struggling with it since a few weeks and don’t get the firmware on it.

It seems that I need to program a bootloader on it and even bought a new ISP to do so, but didn’t succeed yet so that I feel needing your help now.

I have a raspberry pi 2B for the arduino and Marlin software. Since a few weeks I know that I basically can use FTDI devices now, since I have running a BitScope via that method and I even seem to be able to access successfully a “USB SmartISP” but still get timeout errors when trying to put a sketch on the Arduino Mega2560 board.

So, please let me know what I have to do in order to finally get my K8200 working and usable.

Best regards
Martin

When you update the firmware you need to use Arduino software 1.0.6 or lower.
If you have a windows machine or a friend has one you should try in on it.
I haven’t tried it with a Raspberry Pi so I can’t help much there

Ok, thank you! Actually I was afraid to have to do so and fortunately I just will have the chance to do so for a few days. I’ll let you know what comes out of it.

Hi Martin,
I am in the same boat, I found by chance that I needed both USB AND DC power to the control board before I could load the firmware so this might be the same for you.

Regards,
Bob

Hi Bob,
thanks very much for your reply, I will try your suggestion tomorrow.

Regards
Martin

Dear Bob,
I now tried it, unfortunately without success.
When I am not using the power supply the red and the green LEDs are lit, when I am using the power supply none of it is. Did you have this behavior too?
I even tried all possibilities to install the bootloader, but none if it worked.
I even used the ISP “mySmartUSB light” also without succes.
My last chance, as far as I can see currently, is to try it under Windows at the weekend.

Regards

Martin,

It’s normal the the LEDs will be on without power applied.
However you will need to apply power power to do the update.
The instructions to update the firmware are in this link.
http://www.k8200.eu/manual/printing/?c=007

Hi Bob,
I have news now. First of all, it still doesn’t work. I tried to put the Marlin sketch to the board using Arduino 1.0.5 under Windows 10 using different versions of the driver for the seriell / USB converter. We got the same timeout error under Windows 10 as on the Raspberry Pi 3. Additionally we tried to copy a sketch onto another Arduino Mega2560 board successfully!

So, I may conclude that it is the board itself that causes the problem respectively does not work.

What are my options now? How do I get the board checked and repaired?

Regards
Martin

Don’t you have any more help regarding my topic?

Did you jumper the JPROG pins?
What is the error you are getting?

Yes, I did (actually the jumper is sitting there all the time lately).
Power is on, no LED is lit, except for a flash of the red LED when I connect the board to a raspberry pi 3 (which does work with other boards as I wrote before).

I get the following:
Binäre Sketchgröße: 1.542 Bytes (von einem Maximum von 258.048 Bytes)
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

This looks like you have the wrong com port selected in the Arduino software or the JPROG is not jumpered. it’s strange that you can communicate through Repetier or Octoprint but not Arduino.

I didn’t say I can communicate via any program with the printer board - even though once it looked like it had worked.
I said I can communicate without any problem with another Arduino board that has the same controller.

Then it sounds like the board has an issue.
Sorry this is all of the help I can offer.

This is what I was afraid of.
Thanks a lot

Hi again,

I am not through with it yet:
Can anybody tell me please, what settings - actually which programmer - do I have to set when copying a bootloader to the board?
I have at hand the following:
“ID 10c4:ea60 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. CP210x UART Bridge / myAVR mySmartUSB light”.

Today I got a new board and this time it worked to install the firmware, but on this board I couldn’t setup the voltage to 425 mV for one of the motor drivers so that I still have an issue.

Voltage should be set to 0.55 this works the best do not go over 0.6
You could fill out a trouble ticket for the bad driver board part number A4988/SP
In the mean time remove the board that is giving you the problem and swap it with a board from the old control card. make sure the pins are aligned and the orientation is correct when plugging it in.
At least this will get you printing.

Ok, I will do so and thank you for your quick response.

Just trying to help where I can.