Failure while printing with ABS!

Is it only me and my printer that doesn’t understand the use of ABS?
My printer goes “nuts” when I want use ABS.
I’ve downloade the printersettings from www.K8200.eu

My issue is when I hit the button “start printing” with my settings for ABS it looks fine, but when my bed reches the temp arround 68 degrees it just stops there. The program says the heating bed is still warming up but doesn’t increase temperature.

When I print with PLA I have no issues and every object I’ve printed with PLA has been successful.

But Ialso want the printer to work with ABS. Do semone know what i can do?

Do you get any messages in the repetier log?

Nope, no messeage, the programe only says that the bed is heating.

I also tried using the settings for PLA on the ABS and just changed the temps recommended for ABS, but the same result.

Oh and I also use repetier host, marlin.

What bed temp have you set, and waht temp does it reach?

I’ve set the bed temp to 90 and it reach around 68.

Well, if you have the stock heatbed and power supply it will take extremely long to reach 90°c for the bed, if even possible.
Try setting the bed temp to 65°c. then it should print.
If you need higher bed temps you will have to source the Heatbed from a separate 24v power supply.
The 15V stock supply is simply to weak.

Aha, okey. I will try it later and se if that work. Thanks.

May I also ask if my printer can print with other filaments? Like nylon!
I want to try new things to. :wink:

[color=#FF0000]DON’T EVER[/color] try to power the whole printer from 24V!
You will ned a power expander or relay circuit which is controlled by the bed output to separate the power for the heatbed.

[quote=“3Ddan”]May I also ask if my printer can print with other filaments? Like nylon!
I want to try new things to. ;)[/quote]

It sure can, but not with ste stock hotend.
I’d suggest an all metal hotend for that. Like the E3D V6 for example.
I upgraded my printer a few months ago and i’m very happy with it.

cheers,

Christian

No I’m going to decrease the bed temperature to 65. I will not touch the power source or try to connect one more in this case.

Okey yeah i have bought me a new nozzle the E3D V6 one, :wink: ive have assembled it but I haven’t mount it on the printer yet.

Let us know how it turned out.

Way happy now. :slight_smile:

It worked and i have printed my first object with ABS. :slight_smile: there was dock one thing, i had very bad surface finish on the first layer and also the last layer.

[quote][color=#FF0000]DON’T EVER[/color] try to power the whole printer from 24V!
You will ned a power expander or relay circuit which is controlled by the bed output to separate the power for the heatbed.[/quote]

By the way, if I want to assemble an external power source, is there any guideline to that? :slight_smile:

[quote=“3Ddan”]By the way, if I want to assemble an external power source, is there any guideline to that? :)[/quote]Actually there is : the [color=#408040]Wiki[/color]. And this forum if you have more questions.

Okey.

Okey! I’m going to continue on her!
After reading several posts about upgrading my printer with an external power supply to my heatbed, I’m still little confused even thou I’m quite good with electronics, well practical part. :wink:

I have during the weekend prepared an ATX PSU, that can give me DC output 12V 14A 120W.
I haven’t assembled it to the printer yet I still need to fix this power extender and I don’t know where i can buy it here in Sweden.

But anyway here is my question, this ATX is it suitable to my heat bed or will it take forever to reach temps up to 90 degres?

[quote=“3Ddan”]Okey! I’m going to continue on her!
After reading several posts about upgrading my printer with an external power supply to my heatbed, I’m still little confused even thou I’m quite good with electronics, well practical part. :wink:

I have during the weekend prepared an ATX PSU, that can give me DC output 12V 14A 120W.
I haven’t assembled it to the printer yet I still need to fix this power extender and I don’t know where i can buy it here in Sweden.

But anyway here is my question, this ATX is it suitable to my heat bed or will it take forever to reach temps up to 90 degres?[/quote]

If it is really 12V the stock heatbed will be barely able to reach 90°c.
Better look for a 24V supply for the Heatbed. Heats much faster and reaches higher temps.
You can build your own “power expander” from the circuit found here on the forum or simply use a relay to switch the 24V, as i did.
If you use a relay, pay attention to have the correct resistor in series and a didode reverse parallel to the coil to protect the heater output of the controller.

cheers,

Christian

Okay thanks Christian! I will try to find a more powerful PSU at home.

About the power expander, yea I had plans on build i my self because I have found every spare parts on elfa. :slight_smile:

I will post an answer here when I’m done.

[quote=“3Ddan”]Okay thanks Christian! I will try to find a more powerful PSU at home.

About the power expander, yea I had plans on build i my self because I have found every spare parts on elfa. :slight_smile:

I will post an answer here when I’m done.[/quote]

If you don’t have a 24v supply lying around, you can source it from here : reichelt.de/MW-GS120A24/3/in … anwell+24v

cheers,

Christian

I have now changed to the E3D V6 nozzle, but, and I´m on the final step to make a configuration in a file “configuration.h” I know where it is but i have´nt any clue about what I should change in there?
I also istalled the LCD VM8201 and uploaded version 2 of the drives to the controllerboard. But my printer didn´t like it at all. :confused:

But did’nt find anything about the E3D V6 but those who change to this nozzle did you also changed the heater block or did you use the existning from velleman?

I use the original heater cartrige from Velleman then U dont have to change eprom settings, works fine with E3D