Com port not showing up in Device Manager

When i connect the printer to my computer it does not show up in device manager. I have installed the drivers.

The leds at the bottom of the board light up when the USB is connected, and they turn off, and a green led lights up briefly. The FTDI chip seems slightly warm. I have tried in two different computers, using Windows7 & 8

hello,

If you connect another arduino to your pc, does that show up?

Kind regards

Yes, i have an Arduino DUO, and a Duemilanove and both work just fine

Hi,
Can you check whether this chip is properly soldered?

Best regards
Tom

Hi!
I have the same problem. It seems to me that the chip is soldered correctly. Can I resoldered or heat this chip? Whether the guarantee will be valid?
Please help me.

Best regards
Maciej

PS: I have no problem with arduino uno. I have problem with extruder engine too.

FT232 or transil diode are probably corrupted. What can I do? Can I make a repair without loss of warranty?

No, I have the same problem. I think this might be related to some updated FTDI drivers or something?

Last night I lost contact with the printer mid print. On restarting it, there was no COM5 port. I re-installed everything, from FTDI drivers to Arduino and Vertex firmware. No joy. COM5 has disappeared from my Windows 7 machine and I can’t get it back.

What are going to do?

[quote=“biscuitlad”]COM5 has disappeared from my Windows 7 machine and I can’t get it back. [/quote]Didn’t it reappear under another COM#. Sometimes Windows is forgetting the COM # it usually uses and allocates another one.

[quote=“raby”][quote=“biscuitlad”]COM5 has disappeared from my Windows 7 machine and I can’t get it back. [/quote]Didn’t it reappear under another COM#. Sometimes Windows is forgetting the COM # it usually uses and allocates another one.[/quote]Nope - tried COM1 and it didn’t work.

Total nightmare - spent the whole night re-installing various drivers, rebooting the machine, trying to trace hidden devices, trawling the web looking for solutions, nothing. There seems to be no way of restoring COM5 - it’s just vanished from the device list.

I’m frankly at a loss what to do. Something somewhere is corrupted, but god knows what or where. The printer seems to work fine from the LCD panel. Just can’t connect via Repetier Host.

It can be some failure with the USB input of the printer. To be sure you should try with another computer.

When you connect the USB cable to the computer, are the 2 USB leds lighting up on the printer?

Also check the solders on the USB socket (I don’t know you but I almost ripped off mine when I forgot to remove the USB cable before moving the computer).

[quote=“raby”]It can be some failure with the USB input of the printer. To be sure you should try with another computer. [/quote]I can’t mate, that’s the only machine I have running windows.

[quote=“raby”]When you connect the USB cable to the computer, are the 2 USB leds lighting up on the printer?[/quote]Nothing shows on the device list on the machine, and one LED definitely lights up. I’ll check some more tonight.

[quote=“raby”]Also check the solders on the USB socket (I don’t know you but I almost ripped off mine when I forgot to remove the USB cable before moving the computer).[/quote]Well it lost contact after I foolishly tried to make sure that the usb plug was well inserted into the usb hub! I just touched it to check it was well inserted and bang! The printer stopped dead and started to reboot. And that’s how it all started… :frowning:

[quote=“biscuitlad”][quote=“raby”]It can be some failure with the USB input of the printer. To be sure you should try with another computer. [/quote]I can’t mate, that’s the only machine I have running windows.

[quote=“raby”]When you connect the USB cable to the computer, are the 2 USB leds lighting up on the printer?[/quote]Nothing shows on the device list on the machine, and one LED definitely lights up. I’ll check some more tonight.

Can it be you zapped it through static electricity?

Not unless plastic conducts static electricity… but I will check the LEDs on the motherboard in more detail later. I’ll see if Octoprint still works via the Pi - the reason I stopped is that I’ve been experimenting with Filaflex, so wanted to have closer manual control of the printer on the fly to try and get better prints.

Very frustrating to have it ‘crash’ on me like that.

[quote=“biscuitlad”]Not unless plastic conducts static electricity… but I will check the LEDs on the motherboard in more detail later. I’ll see if Octoprint still works via the Pi - the reason I stopped is that I’ve been experimenting with Filaflex, so wanted to have closer manual control of the printer on the fly to try and get better prints.

Very frustrating to have it ‘crash’ on me like that.[/quote]

Try uninstalling the drivers from Device manager if you see some.
Then reconnect the printer. Make sure not only usb is connected. The printer must be fully powered to connect.

[quote=“ichbinsnur”]Try uninstalling the drivers from Device manager if you see some.
Then reconnect the printer. Make sure not only usb is connected. The printer must be fully powered to connect.[/quote]I tried many permutations of this last night, nothing brings back COM5.

From what I can gather from the Arduino forums that it’s possible to manually install parts of the FTDI drivers - but I followed a video on youtube of someone doing it and it didn’t work for me. :frowning:

[quote=“biscuitlad”][quote=“ichbinsnur”]Try uninstalling the drivers from Device manager if you see some.
Then reconnect the printer. Make sure not only usb is connected. The printer must be fully powered to connect.[/quote]I tried many permutations of this last night, nothing brings back COM5.

From what I can gather from the Arduino forums that it’s possible to manually install parts of the FTDI drivers - but I followed a video on youtube of someone doing it and it didn’t work for me. :-([/quote]
Just to make sure, is there ANY serial device showing up or NONE?

OK - Octoprint has connected! :slight_smile: Big relief that the mainboard isn’t damaged and at least I can print (I assume).

Now the hunt is on for COM5…

Hooray - after successfully printing with OctoPi, I reconnected my printer directly (no hub) and bingo, windows update began installing the drivers. After a short while, COM3 popped up. COM5 is dead, long live COM3! :slight_smile:

Hi,
my computer see arduino but not (never) see printer. Any idea?

[quote=“maciek001”]Hi,
my computer see arduino but not (never) see printer. Any idea?[/quote]

Can you post a sharp and high res picture of your Controller board?
Especially from the area around the USB port?

cheers,

Christian