Z-axis carriage plate

Hello

I’ve reached chapter 007 in the K8200 3D printer build only to find that I can’t attach the Z-carriage follower to the Z-axis carriage plate; one of the two tapped holes for the M5 bolts has been formed very poorly. I can only attach one of the M5 bolts securely, the other one has no purchase (grip) in it’s hole.

Have decided to remove the Z-carriage plate and drill new holes and tap them as required in the opposite plates. There should be enough space to do this. (I can get accurate positioning of the new holes if I bolt the two aluminium sides together using the 8 holes along the edges.)

I guess I should have checked that the Z-carriage plate could accept M5 bolts in the chapter 004 build of the left hand upright but even then, the poorly tapped hole would still have caused a setback in construction.

HLH

Hello,

A little metalwork and the z-carriage has now been reassembled.

I aligned the plates and clamped them securely, then bored using a stand-mounted drill.
I used a 4.1mm drill bit for the five new holes that were required. This is the pilot bore size for tapping M5.
Select an M5 x 0.8 tap. The thread of this tap matches the M5 bolt supplied with the kit exactly.

The M5 bolts are a nice snug fit now.

Just to remind:- Check that the M5 bolts in bag 27 will screw into tapped holes of the z-carriage plate before continuing chapter 004. But I expect most kits will be OK.

HLH

1 Like