Y axis movement failure

Running K8203 and 4 printing 1.75mm filament

After many hours of satisfactory printing the Y axis stopped mid print. The X axis and the extruder continued until the build up of polymer jammed it.

Subsequent attempts to print just resulted in random Y axis movement accompanied with chattering noise probably from the motor.

Tested the wiring from the board plug to the motor All well with the motor coils showing about 1.8 ohm.

Homing the Y axis made the bed move, very noisily, back and forth randomly. Sometimes just stopped and vibrated. Other times wouldn’t move at all.

Have spare control board – change made no difference.

Tested by swapping X and Y drivers – fault stayed on Y axis.

Tried new drivers – no change.

Adjusted driver reference voltage – no change

Re-flashed firmware – no change

Changed the motor – fault still present

Has anyone any ideas as to what is wrong? What else I can check? (I was in process of making Christmas presents!!)

Did you check whether the movement in the y axis is blocked in any way?

Did check. Moves freely on both axes. On homeing Y result is extremely variable. Sometimes just a series of what sounds like single step movements. Then series of steps but just shakes and doesn’t move. Sometimes it moves but apparently randomly forward and backwards - always very noisily. Unlikely to be the driver - swapped with X and also replaced using both DRV 8825 and A4988

You have a soldier failure. When the bed moves, the wires are extended or not, and then the current doesnt pass anymore and the motor stops or does noise.
Check the cable solder, and better do a new solder to be sure of the result.
It occurs to me twice.
NB : the original cable is weak, then when it moves, the connexion is or good, or cut. You should change the 4 cables to flexible ones
Good luck

Tag.

Quite right. Replaced cable supplying Y motor - now OK. I guess ribbon cable isn’t designed for constant flexing, although it lasted well over 1000 hours of printing. Replaced with another ribbon. Will look out for a better alternative
Many thanks for your help.

Nice, I’m happy for you :wink:
Have fun