Which slicer?

Hi, since the begining I’m using CuraEngine for slicing my pieces to print. But I’ve discovered that there is also Slic3r installed into the Repetier-Host software.
So my question is : which one is the best to use with Vertex3D ?
Thank you for your answers and/or comments,
Z

Personally I like Cura.
It seems like it slices faster

Print a few identical pieces in both Cura/Slicerand see if there is a difference in quality.

It took me 1 week to find out the correct settings to print sharp pieces with CuraEngine, I was wondering if Slic3r deserves 1 week of set-up to obtain better results or if I will obtain the same results in the best case (?)

[quote=“Zorro_X”]I was wondering if Slic3r deserves 1 week of set-up to obtain better results or if I will obtain the same results in the best case (?)
[/quote]If you spend one week tuning Slmic3r you’ll probably obtain good results but not significantly better than a well tuned Cura.

ok, thankyou raby… so I’ll keep going with CuraEngine and when I found some time, give a try to Slic3r… :wink:

i encountered problems with Cura: if there are a lot of smal details, Cura makes mistakes.

For example: if you do a keyplate with a font of curved letters, about 5mm high, then after slicing you can not read this. (visible in Repetier and of course with the print)

But i also haven’t found the time to test (and adjust) other slicers.

I am very interrested in other’s experiences and also the settings !

If there are very small details, try reducing the wall thickness to 0.3 or even 0.2 mm.

But what do you do if you want smal details on a bigger part ?

You can’t then print all with only wall thickness of 0.3 or 0.2 mm.
(Especialy with technical applications the part should hold out something. )

I’m afraid that you’re reaching the limits of Cura. You can’t change the resolution for some layers and continue with another later.
It’s understandable that if the layer thickness is 0.6 and you want to print a 0.3 mm detail Cura won’t do it. To do that it should be more clever and change the wall thickness of small details while keeping it where it’s possible.
You could ask Simplify3D users if they can achieve this.

Am I the only one who likes Simplify 3D for slicing?

Nope your not :wink: I like it to. Very good piece of software.

To Digi-Bert:

In Slic3r there are options to change print settings region-wise. Although I’m using Slic3r as my favored slicer, I really didn’t use these options up to now. It may be worth for a trial.

I use both because neither fully suits my needs.

Cura has some advantages over Slic3r; its fast, for dual head printing it has an extremely useful ooze shield and wipe tower. Slc3r also has an ooze shield, but its not nearly as good and the shield has no brim, which means it keeps getting knocked off the plate. Cura can “sink objects in the bed” (cura GUI program, when using repetier+cura Im not sure). It also produces better results in some regards, like with pointy objects.

But Cura lacks some of the advanced settings of slic3r, some of which are sometimes needed, like more control over fan speed for things like bridging, setting a different print speed for support material (PVA needs to be printed really slowly), or just convenience like easily defining settings per filament.

Im tempted to try Simplify3D, hoping it will bring best of both worlds, but the price and the absence of a trial program stops me for now.

Here is a good video comparing the 4 most popular slicers:
youtube.com/watch?v=USA29CuYOvk

I cant say I agree with all his findings, and he doesnt discuss dual head, but its a useful review anyhow.

Hello p4man
I read that you use slic3 and I would try it; would you like me to communicate settings to modify for use with the vertex k8400? it would avoid me too lose time !!
thank you very much!
Jean Michel

I wouldnt say this is very dialed in yet, especially the start gcode is a mess you’ll want to change and the bed shape isnt right, but this is what I have (for dual extruder):

# generated by Slic3r 1.2.9 on Mon Apr 25 15:06:57 2016 avoid_crossing_perimeters = 0 bed_shape = 0x0,200x0,200x200,0x200 bed_temperature = 0 before_layer_gcode = bottom_solid_layers = 3 bridge_acceleration = 0 bridge_fan_speed = 75 bridge_flow_ratio = 1 bridge_speed = 60 brim_width = 0 complete_objects = 0 cooling = 1 default_acceleration = 0 disable_fan_first_layers = 0 dont_support_bridges = 0 duplicate_distance = 6 end_gcode = \nG1 X0 Y0 Z130 ; Get extruder out of way. Uncomment to use!\nM107 ; Turn off fan\n; Disable all extruder\nG91 ; Relative positioning\n{IF_EXT0}T0\n{IF_EXT0}G1 E-1 ; Reduce filament pressure\nM104 T0 S0\n{IF_EXT1}T1\n{IF_EXT1}G1 E-1 ; Reduce filament pressure\nM104 T1 S0\nG90 ; Absolute positioning\nG92 E0 ; Reset extruder position\nM140 S0 ; Disable heated bed\nM84 ; Turn steppers off\nT0\nT1\nT0 external_fill_pattern = rectilinear external_perimeter_extrusion_width = 0 external_perimeter_speed = 80% external_perimeters_first = 0 extra_perimeters = 1 extruder_clearance_height = 20 extruder_clearance_radius = 20 extruder_offset = 0x0,-24.1x0 extrusion_axis = E extrusion_multiplier = 1 extrusion_width = 0 fan_always_on = 1 fan_below_layer_time = 60 filament_colour = #FFFFFF filament_diameter = 1.75 fill_angle = 45 fill_density = 25% fill_pattern = honeycomb first_layer_acceleration = 0 first_layer_bed_temperature = 0 first_layer_extrusion_width = 200% first_layer_height = 0.21 first_layer_speed = 80% first_layer_temperature = 210 gap_fill_speed = 20 gcode_arcs = 0 gcode_comments = 0 gcode_flavor = reprap infill_acceleration = 0 infill_every_layers = 1 infill_extruder = 1 infill_extrusion_width = 0 infill_first = 0 infill_only_where_needed = 0 infill_overlap = 5% infill_speed = 60 interface_shells = 1 layer_gcode = layer_height = 0.105 max_fan_speed = 50 max_print_speed = 80 max_volumetric_speed = 0 min_fan_speed = 35 min_print_speed = 10 min_skirt_length = 0 notes = nozzle_diameter = 0.35,0.35 octoprint_apikey = octoprint_host = only_retract_when_crossing_perimeters = 1 ooze_prevention = 1 output_filename_format = [input_filename_base].gcode overhangs = 1 perimeter_acceleration = 0 perimeter_extruder = 1 perimeter_extrusion_width = 0 perimeter_speed = 50 perimeters = 4 post_process = pressure_advance = 0 raft_layers = 0 resolution = 0 retract_before_travel = 2,2 retract_layer_change = 0,0 retract_length = 4,4 retract_length_toolchange = 12,12 retract_lift = 0,0 retract_restart_extra = 0,0 retract_restart_extra_toolchange = 0,0 retract_speed = 110,110 seam_position = random skirt_distance = 12 skirt_height = 1 skirts = 2 slowdown_below_layer_time = 5 small_perimeter_speed = 40 solid_infill_below_area = 70 solid_infill_every_layers = 0 solid_infill_extruder = 1 solid_infill_extrusion_width = 0 solid_infill_speed = 45 spiral_vase = 0 standby_temperature_delta = 0 start_gcode = M420 R1 B1 E0; Set the LEDs \nG28 ; Home extruder\nG1 Z5 F600\nG1 Z0 F600\nM420 R1 B0 E0; Set the LEDs to red\n;M190 S65 ; set and wait for bed temp to be reached\nM106 S60 ; Turn on fan\nG90 ; Absolute positioning\nM82 ; Extruder in absolute mode\n; Activate all used extruder\nM104 S205 T0\nM104 S210 T1 ; start warming second extruder \n; M104 S{TEMP1} T1\nG92 E0 ; Reset extruder position\n; Wait for all used extruders to reach temperature\nM109 S205 T0\n; M109 S{TEMP0} T0\nM420 R0 B0 E1; Set the LEDs to green\nT0\nM83\nG1 E10 F100\nM82\nG92 E0 ; Reset extruder position\nM117 Vertex is printing \nG1 F1000 Z5 support_material = 1 support_material_angle = 90 support_material_contact_distance = 0 support_material_enforce_layers = 0 support_material_extruder = 2 support_material_extrusion_width = 0 support_material_interface_extruder = 2 support_material_interface_layers = 3 support_material_interface_spacing = 0 support_material_interface_speed = 40 support_material_pattern = honeycomb support_material_spacing = 2.5 support_material_speed = 40 support_material_threshold = 0 temperature = 210 thin_walls = 1 threads = 4 toolchange_gcode = M420 R0 B[next_extruder] E[previous_extruder]; Set the LEDs top_infill_extrusion_width = 0 top_solid_infill_speed = 80% top_solid_layers = 4 travel_speed = 160 use_firmware_retraction = 0 use_relative_e_distances = 0 use_volumetric_e = 0 vibration_limit = 0 wipe = 0,0 xy_size_compensation = 0 z_offset = -0.1

Save the above in an ini file, and then import it in slic3r.

ok merci
jean-michel