Which board to choose

Hello people. i have the following problem. My printer won’t go back to home position and i got the idea it’s a software problem. I decided to reload the firmware into the board and went to check here and verify if that would be a decent thing to do. I read a post which had similar problem and outcome, so my guess wasn’t half bad. After looking for the bloody shunt thingy (which i intend to attach to a blinking high-bright LED and a huge ship-horn so i can find it next time) half the morning, i went and plugged stuff in, verified the com port was still com5, and opened the firmware file Marlin.ino. next i had to pick the board. Here is where i found problems:

On the support site it says to pick Board:
Arduino Mega 2560 or Mega ADK (shows Arduino version 1.0.6)

In my Arduino program i can either choose for;
-Arduino Mega or Mega 2560
or
-Arduino Mega ADK
Wanting to do it right, i decided to ask here for help.
So…please help:)

think it has to do with Ports (COM/LPT) missing from device manager :S i installed and updated the firmware last week after i finished building the vertex and had no problems. now when i plug in the machine, windows pops up a message saying it doesn’t recognise (can’t find drivers) i reinstalled the drivers as shown on instruction site. Not getting anywhere like this…

still messing about here, i tried and connected an Arduino Uno. As soon as i plug it in it recognises it and no problem. Whatever i try (installing new drivers, following the link on the vertex3dprinter.eu instruction site, plug it in then start up, start up then plug it in, shut down laptop, pull battery, eat fingernails and drink crapload of coffee, put battery back, start up again, run around naked around printer singing hideous worshipping song) nothing works… am i f*cked now? i mean, the board of the printer doesn’t seem to be able to communicate with my puter… I printed with it last night, no problem, as was all week…

Installed with run as admin? I hade todo that or the driver/port didnt want to get on the list.

[quote=“ivor”]Arduino Mega or Mega 2560[/quote]That’s the one to choose. And yes try installing with admin rights (same for Repetier by the way).

as a last resort i changed the USB cable. Finally succes :slight_smile: at least, i could finally upload the firmware. now, comming back to why i wanted to do that in the first place: my extruder is nowhere near home. it’s almost fully out on the y-axis and somewhere halfway on the x-axis . When i choose auto-home in the control-printer menu, it moves forward and backward a bit but thats it. it’s like it doesn’t even know auto-home has anything to do with end-switches (z-axis behaves normally). I tried carefully cleaning the end-switches but to no effect. Anyone ever had this problem? or anyone have an idea what it could be?

Aaaaaand it’s done. i’ve been lubricating the shafts to keep the printing smooth, i probably spilled some oil on the end switches, which are apperently optical. i carefully cleaned them more thoroughly. i’ll have to be more carefull with my oilcan in the future. Had been looking forward to a weekend of printing, instead i been running around trying to figure out wth was wrong lol. All works now, back to printing. Those who answered thanks for your time:)

1 Like

[quote=“ivor”]Those who answered thanks for your time:)[/quote]You’re welcome. happy printing :slight_smile:

[quote=“ivor”]…

On the support site it says to pick Board:
Arduino Mega 2560 or Mega ADK (shows Arduino version 1.0.6)

In my Arduino program i can either choose for;
-Arduino Mega or Mega 2560
or
-Arduino Mega ADK
Wanting to do it right, i decided to ask here for help.
So…please help:)[/quote]

hello,

Nobody seems to respond this part of your question.

I belive you try to compile firmware with Andruino 1.6.0 … I choose setting for Board Mega 2560 .

1 Like

It’s the Mega 2560 all right.

And you’d better use Arduino 1.0.6 to flash as there are known issues with the 1.6.0 version.