WFS210 Won't reliably connect to ANY device

OK, I took delivery of my WFS210 this morning and have spent the rest of the day trying to get any steady or reliable connection on any of my devices.

I have tried my Android Tablet running Android 4.0.0
I have tried my other Android Tablet running Android 4.4.2
and I have tried my Lenovo laptop running Windows 8.1

All devices, on a hit and miss basis report that they have connected to WIFI WFS210. I open the application (which I downloaded to all devices from Google Play). Both tablets then have trouble connecting to the WFS210. The ‘connected’ light on the reverse of the WFS210 is lit and, occasionally, the word connected pops up on the app screen (after initially reporting ‘Demo Mode’, followed by ‘Disconnected’ followed by ‘connected’. I have tried just about every option (obviously including un-checking the ‘Demo’ box and entering WFS210 in the ‘Name’ box numerous times. I also get the frustrating, non-specific ‘Error connecting…’ dialogue box appearing intermittently when trying to connect to WIFI on both tablets.

I have managed a connection for about 15 minutes on the Windows 8.1 laptop but have not had any success since on this device. I get similar messages (or lack of them) as on the tablets whilst again the laptop says connected to WS210 WIFI and the WS210 has the wifi signal and connected LEDs are lit. Quite simply the lights are on but nobody is home!

This must have been about the most frustrating day I have had in my technology life and, at the moment, this device seems to be a piece of junk or perhaps the software is simply rubbish. Unless I can find out what could be going wrong, I will be returning the device to the supplier and making sure nobody else is taken in by the advertising. Very surprising that Velleman should risk a previously great reputation putting this out to the market…I have bought better £15 kits from China!.

The Serial number of the device I received is 101400651. Oh, incidentally, I am surprised that there is no troubleshooting advice readily available (in the box or online) and it seems that the only point of call is through this community forum. Biggest disappointment I paid out for a probe (the one recommended by Velleman) and this will also now be a waste of money since it is unlikely to be suitable for whatever oscilloscope I buy in the future.

I should add that when trying to connect to the laptop via USB, I am offered NO ports in the drop down menu (simply a blank box) so cannot access in this way.

Well, 21 days have now past since posting my problems with this unit (which I have tried everything I can think of to resolve) and I have had no response whatsoever to my post from Velleman Support. I will be returning the item to the Vendor tomorrow for a refund but what a shame that Velleman seem to have no interest whatsoever.

Sorry to hear you have troubles with your WFS210.
Is the WFS210 used in a environment where there is a lot of wifi signals?

As for your problem via USB is the WFS210 powered on when you connect the WFS210 via USB?

Best Regards,
VEL337

As I did not get any response to my post on this forum for almost 4 weeks I returned the unit to the vendor and have received a refund (I did however waste £15 on buying the probe recommended by Velleman as this will not be of any use to any scope I am likely to buy in the future). I do not know what you classify as " environment where there is a lot of wifi signals". It was used in my home which has a standard, cable, wifi connection (which I had disconnected my tablets/laptop from) but surely most people will have a standard wifi connection in their home? The area I live is classed as semi-rural (not inner city) so there is not particularly heavy wifi traffic.

The WFS210 was powered on when you connect the WFS210 via USB but I also tried turning the WFS210 off and on again to no avail. In fact I tried every conceivable combination of settings and power up options on the WFS210 and my devices.

It should be noted that even when the ‘connected’ led on the WFS210 was lit, the app did not recognise it as being connected. The purchase of this item was a sad episode for me and I’m just grateful the vendor was prepared to refund me. Much as I would have loved to have a portable scope solution for my hobby electronics, this Velleman product simply does not deliver.