WFS210 Firmware update

In order to update the firmware, does it mean I have to open the device, or can I access the processor via usb??

Regards
unclePP

Yes you’ll have to open the device and program the microcontroller with a programmer.

I think that is asking rather too much of your customers. I don’t have a PIC programmer, and I don’t know anyone else who does. I am surprised an simpler update procedure wasn’t built into the device.

I bought one of these a few weeks ago, and I hit exactly same problem as everyone else here: my iPad would not connect to the device. The suggestion that the ‘forget network’ option should be tried before trying again made no difference. After a few hours of off-and-on experimentation, I gave up, wrote it off as a bad buy (with consequent doubts about whether or not I would ever buy from Velleman again) and put it to one side. After a couple of weeks, I was prompted by the seller to ‘rate the purchase’. I was sorely tempted to write something scathing when I decided to take another look at this thing. More hours of fruitless experimentation, and now I feel that I have a solution. (Without re-flashing anything.) I’ve only tried it a few times, but it hasn’t failed yet.

When the iPad fails to connect, quit the app (you might have to kill it completely by opening the task switcher and swiping the app upwards, off the top of the screen). Then go in to wifi Settings, open the ‘info’ page, and rather than selecting ‘forget this network’ (although you might need to do this on occasion) scroll to the bottom and select ‘renew lease’, and confirm the action. Restart the WSF210 app and you should be connected - check the settings by tapping on the gear icon at the bottom right.

If that doesn’t work, I suggest trying things in a slightly different order.

As I have to program the microprocessor and to open the device I ask the following:

What about guarantee?
How do I open the case without damaging it?
Do I have access to the programming ports, and how?
I have got a Pickit3 programmer, is it suitable? will it be powered by the oscilloscope?

Thank you i.a.
Regards

I’m preparing the manual as we speak(type) :slight_smile:

Warranty will still be applicable.

Best Regards
VEL337

The manual is finally online.
manuals.velleman.eu/article.php?id=576

I updated the firmware which was easy. Now the WFS210 connects to the iPad App but no longer to my PC App.
If I stop the iOs App and want to reconnect it will not work. I have to shut down the iPad completely and restart it before I am able to reconnect. That is rather annoying and no procedure for the future.
Seems to me as if this product is an unfinished one which was put on the market much too early. Do you think that you can manage to bring a new PC version, or a download of the old hexFile in order to restore the former configuration?

Regards unclePP

Hi

Thank you for the feedback.
The PC App update is in the making and i’ll investigate the issue with the iOS app

Best Regards
VEL337

I have a problem now after updating the firmware. The pickit software seemed to succeed in programming the device
but when I restart I now see a completely different SSID - it’s now WiFly-EZX-d8, not WFS210. And I don’t get the same
IP address. Before I got 169.254.1.11. Now I get 192.168.1.11.

I can connect to a default microchip web page at 192.168.1.11:80, but no command port for the WFS210

Can someone give me some advice what to try?

This is the log from the programming session. Seems like it was OK.

Connecting to MPLAB PICkit 3…

Currently loaded firmware on PICkit 3
Firmware Suite Version…01.46.14
Firmware type…dsPIC33E/24E

Target voltage detected
Target device dsPIC33EP256MU806 found.
Device ID Revision = 4002
2017-02-10 18:32:05 +0100 - Erasing…

Erasing…
Erase successful
2017-02-10 18:32:11 +0100 - Erase device complete

2017-02-10 18:32:17 +0100 - Blank checking…

Blank Checking…
Blank check complete, device is blank.
2017-02-10 18:32:24 +0100 - Device is blank

2017-02-10 18:32:39 +0100 - Loading hex file. Please wait…
2017-02-10 18:32:40 +0100 - Hex file loaded successfully.

2017-02-10 18:33:01 +0100 - Programming…

Device Erased…

Programming…

The following memory area(s) will be programmed:
program memory: start address = 0x0, end address = 0x2a5ff
configuration memory
Auxiliary memory
Programming/Verify complete
2017-02-10 18:33:28 +0100 - Programming complete
Pass Count: 1

The IP address has changed correctly(that’s the fix for iOS10)

But the SSID should stayed the same. Did you changed the SSID sometime in the past before updating the firmware?

Nope. I didn’t try to change the SSID.

I can connect to 192.168.1.1 port 80 (using telnet) but no one is listening at port 2000 so it looks like the application is not doing what it should.

Is it still supposed to communicate on port 2000, or should I try another one?

If I open 192.168.1.1 in a browser I get a nice configuration screen that specifie SSID as WFS210 (see 3tag.com/docs/wfs210-config.png )

Clicking on ‘save and reboot’ seems to save the parameters, because if I change the IP address and power cycle, the page will show the saved values.

But no life signs from the oscilloscope application.

Do you have another HEX file with some diagnostic software that can be used to check, or the old one just to see if I can get that to work?

Regards
BigHeat

I am still waiting for some advice about how to get my dead WFS210 working after the firmware update

I have programmed it using the pickit programmer which says ‘verify complete’

But when I try to connect to the WFS it doesn’t have anyone listening on port 2000, only port 80

And the SSID is not WFS210 but WiFly-EZX-d8

I can open 192.168.1.1 in a browser which shows a microchip config page. I have taken screenshots
of the various tabs available. They are here:

3tag.com/docs/wifly1.png
3tag.com/docs/wifly2.png
3tag.com/docs/wifly3.png
3tag.com/docs/wifly4.png

Is there anything I can do with the unit do or do I send it back for repair? Too bad I bought the pickit just for this.

Regards
BigHeat

I’m still waiting for the PC app and the improved iOS app.

uncle PP

It’s been 60 days since my WFS was upgraded and it is still dead after reprogramming.

Any recommendations from Velleman about what to do?

Sincerely

BigHeat

@BigHeat it seems like something went wrong when updating the firmware of your wfs210.
Please return it for repair/inspection to your local dealer.

Hallo
First of all, I want to say that the WFS210 is a great thing - exactly meets my needs.

Unfortunatly, it works not stable with my ipad air2 (iOS10.3.1). The firmware update finished with a pass count = 1, while the screenshot in the fw Update manual says it should be 11. Is that perhaps the problem?

It worked once after trying some tips from other WFS210 Users (restarting the iPad, new lease, calibrating, …), but this seems not to be reproducible.

What shall I do? Will there be soon another bugfixed Firmware?