Vpp Help with HPS50

Hi everyone. I’m looking at purchasing a Velleman O-scope, specifically the HPS50. Could someone help me determine if this unit will be able to handle the output voltage of a loudspeaker amplifier?

I’d like to use the oscilloscope to set the gains on multiple Crown Xti1002’s:
crownaudio.com/xti-2-series.html

I’m pushing 1400W out at 4 ohms on these amps. The amps will be installed in the U.S. and running off of 120VAC power. What would the Vpp be? And can the HPS50 handle it? Anything I’d need to know?

I’ve used oscilloscopes to set gains on automotive (12V) amplifiers before but this will be my first time using them for home/business installation on 120V. Thanks!

The HPS50 can’t hardly handle this UNLESS you always use a 10:1 probe. The input of the HPS50 is 100 V max. With 1400 Watts (RMS or peak???) in 4 ohms, you have about 75 V rms = 106 Volts peak = higher than permitted. So always use the probe in the 10:1 setting.

Thanks!!! 1400W is quoted as the ‘Continuous’ power. Not quite RMS, and not peak I’ve been told.

As long as amplifier manufacturers prefer to advertise commercial power values in stead of real electrical power values, measuring is the best thing you can do and using a 10:1 probe is the safest way to do ;).