Vm211 i cannot upgrade firmware please help

as a last resort i also replaced the string you mentioned, with the different one you provided (i cut and pasted it)
i obviously had to add each library individually but could not find the library of the Fonts and the SDmega, as they are not found in the library directory. I think i managed to find the rest but never got there as it stopped at the first library it couldnt find, which this time was the fonts one.
(btw have you got a zip file with all the libraries i need so i can add them all in one go with the zip file?)

it gave the following error.
Arduino: 1.8.11 (Windows 10), Board: “Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

EarthListener4v0_final:14:10: error: FreeSans9pt7b.h: No such file or directory

#include <FreeSans9pt7b.h> // Font FreeSans 9pts (as an alternative for basic font)

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
FreeSans9pt7b.h: No such file or directory

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

I think my IDE looks for libraries wherever it wants, finds multiple entries for the same library and decides to use the one that doesn’t work. I have copied the libraries that came in the zip file (folder SRC) in many locations, including Arduino/Libraries and still throws up an error code "multiple libraries found, adafruit_GFX.h: no such file or directory.
This file is in multiple locations, i have copied and pasted it in every parent directory of Arduino out of desperation. Still no change…

Hi @Nicdip,

Thank you for describing your problem. Here lies the issue:

-IDE opened the file and said it needed to be copied in sketches and moved there. I selected yes.

The IDE will place the INO file in a new folder, and in that folder, the scr folder with libraries is not present, hence giving you the error.

Kind regards,
VEL342

Hi Pieter
I therefore tried to move the src folder in the newly created folder, where the INO file was moved, so that the src folder could be again with the sketches. But it didnt work!
I also did the opposite, moved the ino file where the SRC folder is, it still doesn’t work

Hi @Nicdip
Here are step by step instructions. Please follow them to the letter to succeed.

1. Download the latest firmware from GitHub - Velleman/VM211_Firmware as a ZIP file

It doesn’t really matter where you place the zip file, but for this guide we will place the file on our desktop.

1. Extract the contents of the zip file by moving the folder 'VM211_Firmware-master" to your desktop

1. Make sure the “VM211_Firmware-master” folder contains these files:

1. Rename the name of the folder “VM211_Firmware-master” to the name of the “EarthListenerXXX.ino”-file. In this case “EarthListener4v0_final”.

1. Open the “EarthListenerXXX.ino”-file, the Arduino IDE will launch with no errors

2. Connect the Arduino to your PC with the provided USB cable

3. Set the proper board “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560” & port “COMxx”.

4. Hit upload

The code will be compiled and uploaded to the board.
This can take up to 3 minutes.

Regards,
VEL342

Hi there,
After IDE asked to create a new folder (and i clicked ok) i then moved ALL the other extracted files (not only SRC) to the newly created folder (where IDE moved the INO) and IT WORKED.
Thank you so much for the help, i hope this has been useful to change the instructions on your website.
Can i just ask you what the new menu “timer” is? Timer for what?
Also the “interface” options, what are they? Thanks again!!

Hi @Nicdip,

Glad you got it working!
The timer setting is the amount of seconds before going to the other screen if you set the EarthListener in slideshow mode. The interface option is for the Lightning sensor, changing the interface from I2C to SPI. Default is I2C, as instructed in the manual.
Kind regards,

VEL342

Perfect
Thanks again, really enjoying the unit. I think it could do much more than it does at the moment. I hope the developers will try to add as many functions as possible.
Can i ask you another question please? I have added the rgb leds and all working well. If i want to add the clock module though, i reckon all the pins are taken? Or can i use the same pins as those used by the rgb led? I am not sure if the same pin can be attached to different sensors?
Thanks
Nico

Hi @Nicdip,

To keep your questions on-topic, have a look at this post:

bert.test implemented the real time clock by using pins A13-A15. Since you already used them for your RGB LED, you will need to use other pins. The Arduino mega has a lot of pins unused under the sensor shield, you can use those and carefully bend the connectors under the shield.

Be advised, you will need to alter the Earthlisteners firmware to include the real time clock.
Kind regards,

VEL342

Thank you
Would the unused pins under the sensor shield have the same name (ie A13-A15 etc)?
Where can i find the firmware changes to add the clock?
I have read a previous topic on it and it was mentioned the extra sensors fitting and instructions would b pronted in the new version of the manual, is the up to date manual out yet?
Thanks
N

Hi Pieter,
According to your step by step instructions above I tried to update the firmware version 4 for the EarthListener from Github.
Arduino IDE loads the EarthListener4v0_final.ino file without errors but uploading does not succeed.
A screenshot of the (part of the) output errors is included.
Am I making a mistake?
Maybe you can help me

Regards, Ko

HI @kobus,

It seems like certain files & libraries are not present in your build.
Please follow the below instructions step by step.

1. Download the latest firmware from https://github.com/Velleman/VM211_Firmware as a ZIP file

It doesn’t really matter where you place the zip file, but for this guide we will place the file on our desktop.

1. Extract the contents of the zip file by moving the folder 'VM211_Firmware-master" to your desktop

1. Make sure the “VM211_Firmware-master” folder contains these files:

1. Rename the name of the folder “VM211_Firmware-master” to the name of the “EarthListenerXXX.ino”-file. In this case “EarthListener4v0_final”.

1. Open the “EarthListenerXXX.ino”-file, the Arduino IDE will launch with no errors

1. Connect the Arduino to your PC with the provided USB cable
  2. Set the proper board “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560” & port “COMxx”.

1. Hit upload

The code will be compiled and uploaded to the board.
This can take up to 3 minutes.

Let me know what the output is.
Kind regards,

VEL342

Hi VEL342
I have followed these instructions exactl, but just cannot Upload the latest version as it stops right away with: /Users/wyrdlg/Documents/Arduino/sketch_apr19a/EarthListener4v0_final/EarthListener4v0_final.ino:18:10: fatal error: src\Adafruit-GFX-Library\Adafruit_GFX.h: No such file or directory
#include “src\Adafruit-GFX-Library\Adafruit_GFX.h” // Core graphics library by Adafruit
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
exit status 1
Compilation error: src\Adafruit-GFX-Library\Adafruit_GFX.h: No such file or directory

I’m on a Mac using IDE 2.0.4

All the files are there… But still…

Hello @wyrdlg ,

Please use the latest firmware (final release) for the earthlistener.
It compiles without errors on Arduino version 1.8.19 and Arduino IDE version 2.0.3.
Just make sure that “board type” is set to Arduino Mega or Mega 2560!

The FW final release V4.2 can be downloaded from here:

and use EarthListener4v2.ino

Best Regards,
Velleman Support

Had all this set before:
latest firmware - Yes Version 4.2
Arduino IDE - Yes Version: 2.0.3 Date: 2022-12-07T10:26:21.564Z (3 weeks ago) CLI Version: 0.29.0 [76251df9]
board type - Yes set to 2560

Same result: Compilation error: src\Adafruit-GFX-Library\Adafruit_GFX.h: No such file or directory
Strange… Tried the older IDE as well with the same error…

bitmaps.h works as it is’nt in src/

Hello @wyrdlg,

Can you try this version, you can download it via this link: https://we.tl/t-BFaMPUKm52

Unzip the file, open the EarthListener 4v2 folder, and open the EarthListener4v2.ino file.

Normally when Arduino IDE software opens this file, the sub files will be opened as well
as additional tabs in IDE software.

Normally it should compiles now without errors. i’ve tried serveral times with latest Arduino version without problems.

If not working, try on other PC if possible.

Best Regards,
Velleman Support

Hey Vel450. Got the solution from the Arduino Forum. So it worked in Windows. But the reason why it did not work on mAc (and would not have worked on Linux): you have to change the backslash \ to slash /!

@wyrdlg ,

Nice to hear you’ll found the solution. Well done :+1:

It’s always importent for support, to say on which OS your are working regarding errors or problems your encoutering.

Thanks for feedback for our the Linux users - forum members.

Best Regards,
Velleman Support

My pleasure!
By the way. Is there a possibility to dim or “screensave” the display?

Dear @wyrdlg ,

Dimming is not possible as the pins for controlling the backlight of the display
are not provided as external connection pins, on the shield of the display.

The backlight pins are permanently connected to the power supply.

Screensaver is currently not integrated into the firmware.

Best Regards,
Velleman Support