VM211 Earth Listener - VMA343 Lightning sensor does not report any lightning

Hi Pieter @VEL342

I had a better look at the source change you proposed to get all lightning interrupts reported.

Just verifying that I do understand correctly:

Old source was:

if (AS3935IrqTriggered != 0)  
    {
      Serial.println("Interrupt from lightining sensor");

//check interrupt source
      delay(5); //wait so not to overflow the bus
      int_src = lightX.AS3935_GetInterruptSrc();
      if (int_src == 0)
      {
        Serial.println("IRQ source result not expected... (Ignoring this error)");
      }
      else
      {
        showScreen(81);   //0:Boot, 1:Info screen, 2:Setup, 3:eCO², 4:Temperature 5:Pressure, 6:TVOC, 7:Humidity, 8:Lightning, 81:Lightning after interrupt, 9:Altitude
      }

I see NO change here (may well be the temperature here making it hard to concentrate).

Looks to me that the second picture also shows the original source.

Did you mean to remove on the first picture the:

else 

like this:

if (int_src == 0)
      {
        Serial.println("IRQ source result not expected... (Ignoring this error)");
      }
      // /BL remove the "else" so ALL IRQ interrupts are reported
      // else
      {
        showScreen(81);   //0:Boot, 1:Info screen, 2:Setup, 3:eCO², 4:Temperature 5:Pressure, 6:TVOC, 7:Humidity, 8:Lightning, 81:Lightning after interrupt, 9:Altitude
      }

For sake of speed, I will run with this change, hoping some rain will take the temperature down while also triggering the lightning sensor.

Thanks,
Bert

How can I change settings?

Hi @Pz83 ,

Do you know the Arduino gui?
OR, maybe, you just powered-up the Earth Listener?

It would take too much to start a “getting started on arduino” here.

A start might be:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
There is much info on the arduino.cc site.

Sorry if I misunderstood…
Let me know,

Bert

Hi all!
With the coming thunderstorms we are investigating this further.

@Guus.Assmann: we have seen problems especially with plexi cases (VM211SE), because the plastic works as an insulator. The lightning sensor detects static discharge in the air so these should reach into the casing, but for better results you can mount the sensor externally.
It is always possible that there is a bug in the firmware, have a look at GitHub - Velleman/VM211_Firmware if you would like to investigate. We will release the lightning sensor as a separate product soon, together with the code on github so it’s easier to understand the workings.

@Pz83: that seems to be in order. Jumpers can be removed from the lightning sensor, you only need them if you want to connect the sensor via the SPI interface.

@bert.test: here are the lines that you need to change to let the sensor report everything:
Change this:

//check interrupt source
if (int_src == 0)
{
Serial.println(“IRQ source result not expected… (Ignoring this error)”);
}
else
{
showScreen(81); //0:Boot, 1:Info screen, 2:Setup, 3:eCO², 4:Temperature 5:Pressure, 6:TVOC, 7:Humidity, 8:Lightning, 81:Lightning after interrupt, 9:Altitude
}
AS3935IrqTriggered = 0;

to this:

//check interrupt source
showScreen(81); //0:Boot, 1:Info screen, 2:Setup, 3:eCO², 4:Temperature 5:Pressure, 6:TVOC, 7:Humidity, 8:Lightning, 81:Lightning after interrupt, 9:Altitude
AS3935IrqTriggered = 0;

Kind regards,
VEL342

@bert.test Yes, I mean GUI:-) what do I need to do to change the core?

Thank you @vel342 a quick response!

Implemented this change and running.

Bert

Oke, you could start like I showed above and get used to using the arduino. The Arduino is the heart of the Earth Listener (VM211).

For Arduino GUI software see e.g. Arduino software

Maybe safer is to use another arduino to experiment with.
Easiest would be buy a similar (or the same) “Arduino ATmega2560”, but I do not know you financial situation (and do not want to know :wink: ).
If you already have another Arduino that would be easy.

After installing the gui, go to the github page of Velleman (as is very well documented in the VM211 manual), see: VM211 Earth Listener Manual

1. CODING.
    The EarthListener is pre-programmed with all functionalities as described in the previous chapters. However, if you want to make sure you have the latest version, please visit our Github page on Velleman ¡ GitHub and look for the VM211 code.

Hope this gets you started and that the Earth Listener does report lightning and after that the weather calms down.

Bert

Can You tell me which library I should download because honestly I don’t know…There are so many libraries:/

all the libraries you need for the EarthListener are included in the src folder on github :wink:

Kind regards,
VEL342

Ok, thanks VEL342.

Lasy question…how to apply the new code for lightning sensor?

Looks like I have done something wrong…my station gives me blank white screen:(

How can I reupload 3.2 version of EarthListener?

@Pz83 hard to see from remote.

Did you give the gui enough time to compile / upload the program to the Earth Listener?

During upload / re-read to verify the program the screen is blank-white. That is normal.

On my system the compile/link takes ~40 seconds and then (with a white screen) it takes ~45 seconds to upload etc.

What happens if you just plug-in the usb cable to the Earth Listener? If the original program has not been overwritten, than it should just run again.

Maybe to get more grip take a look at this movie (start at 7:00 minutes):
Learn Arduino in 15 minutes

Bert

Looks like it has overwritten the original program…what now?

Check that

• you open the correct program with the Arduino GUI. It should be “EarthListener3v4_final”

Then in this order:

Verify that you have set the correct configuration

• In the menu - Tools - Boards - choose “Arduino / Genuino Mega or Mega 2560”
  • In the menu - Tools - Processor - choose Mega 2560
  • In the menu - Tools - Choose the correct Port (something with “Mega 2560”)
  • Then open the serial monitor so you can see what happens:
    In the menu - Tools - “Serial Monitor”

Now finally push the “Upload” button to compile and upload to the Earth Listener.

Then watch (and copy?) what happens on the serial monitor.
Have the patience to let it run it’s course.

I can not be more detailed than this.
So if you come back a detailed report of what happens will be appreciated :wink:

Good luck,
Bert

PS How do you want me to name you?

[edit] Before you do any update in the program be sure to copy the whole folder containing the program.

@bert.test

You can call me Przemek, that’s my name:-)

I do some clicking here and there :wink: I had uploaded the 3.4 version and before that I changed the code. Station is working again, but I need to wait for the thunderstorm :slight_smile:

That is good news Przemek.
So status is you updated the software of the Earth Listener and changed it. Well done.
So we are now all waiting for the lightning to appear (hopefully not TOO near).

Thanks for your report back,
Bert

@bert.test

Thanks for Your help:)
The forecast says that thunderstorm is predicted for Saturday/Sunday for my town.
I shall see if the sensor will register any disturbances:)

At the rain predicting sites there is quite a complex traveling from Belguim to England so today it passes the Netherlands. But there is more on the way, so lets hope for a positive result.

Glad you could get the Earth Listener updated.

Bert

@bert.test

Here in Lower Silesia in Poland we have warnings of 1st degree concerning heatwave and temperatures around 30-34 C from Friday to Sunday and also warnings about thunderstorms and hails. I hope there will be thunderstorm to see if the sensor works properly.

Have a nice day,

Przemek

1 Like

After the change, I would expect that a Piezo “Spark unit” should give a reaction as well.
So a sigaret lighter (Not with a “fire stone”) would give a proper test unit.

@VEL342
If I have understood the Physics of Static electricity (also Lightning) correctly, a spark generates a radio-wave in a specific frequency band. The coil on the detection PCB is tuned to this band and picks up the signal. The amplitude, along with the shape of decreasing signal, represents the distance to the discharge.
So I don’t understand how a wooden casing will influence this. I’m not sure about the HF shielding properties of Plexiglass.
Maybe the Datasheet of the sensor will give some more clues?

1 Like