Vm203 + mplab x

Is VM203 compatible with MPLAB X?

I read in the VM203 description that it interfaces to PICkit2, which is not supported by MPLAB X. Does that mean VM203 cannot be used with MPLAB X?

The latest version 3.51 of the MPLAB X IDE seem to be supporting PICkit2 and works fine with the VM203 too.

Hm, that is strange. I have v3.51 installed and it shows PICkit2 with red dots and I cannot select it. Do I need to install something extra?

The red dots are there because the selected device PIC16F1503 is not PICKit 2 supported as a programmer/debugger.
You can get latest device support list by downloading “MPLAB® X IDE Release Notes / User Guide v3.51” under the Downloads tab on: microchip.com/mplab/mplab-x-ide
There in the package is “Device Support.htm”, where all the supported devices are listed.

You can also find the list in the folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPLABX\v3.51\docs

Thank you a lot for your explanations. I am new to PICing and chose the PIC16F1503 because it is cheaply available in my local hardware store.

So far, I have played around with the MPLAB simulator only, but some time it’ll need to be burned to a real PIC. I would rather have a programmer with sockets where I can plug the PIC into. But are there any around that are not on a PICkit2 basis, i.e. compatible with my PIC16F1503?

[quote]But are there any around that are not on a PICkit2 basis, i.e. compatible with my PIC16F1503?[/quote]I’m sorry, no such programmer at the moment.