VM201 remote control for dummies

I gathered some information that could be useful since the info is scattered.

The VM201 can use AC or DC 11-13.4 volts according to a reply by support. Polarity when using DC doesn’t matter.

Connect the VM201 to your LAN. The LAN DHCP server, which should be your router, will give the device a free IP address in the LAN . It will be shown on the LED screen. It is recommend to go to settings in your router and make that address fixed, so that you always know which IP address is used. By pressing the button on the side of the screen, you will see the network settings of the device. The mac-address is also shown so you can give the device any IP address you want.

Use your web browser to enter the current IP address. Go to network settings and disable VM201 DHCP server! This could not be done in the original firmware that the VM201 is delivered with.

Upgrade the VM201 to the latest firmware according to the upgrade instructions. They work also in Windows 10. Watch out for in which directory folder your extracted bin file ends up. It will be to a subfolder to the C:\firmware folder that you were asked to create so you will need to include the subfolder in the put command. It is important to do the upgrade in order to disable the DHCP server in the VM201. Having an extra DHCP server in your LAN could create great problems.

The VM201 listens on two ports: Port 80 for web access, port 9760 for app access (Iphone and Android). You already used the web port from inside the LAN. Now you need to do port forwarding in your router for both ports (Iphone below). For the web interface I used 9600 (external) and 80 (internal). You should also use DYNDNS so that your network can be accessed using a name instead of the current IP-address (which you can look up with “whats my IP address”). To access the web interface remotely, you enter name:9600 (when a port number is included, the string always has to start with http://). Name is the name that you have chosen with your dyndns provider (such as dyndns.org). Also if you use your current IP address the format has to be the same. Btw, there is no alternative for the port 80 for the web interface. 8080 does not work.

If you entered a user name and a password when you accessed the web interface from within the LAN, you’ll need to enter these also when you access the VM201 from the outside.

When you set up the port forwarding, you could use 9760 for the external port as well as for the internal (listening) port but for security reasons, you might want to use another port number externally, e.g. 9988 or whatever. If you did use another external port number, this is the number that you should list in the Iphone app settings.

The Iphone app works with my Iphone 6+ IOS 9 device. You install the app and immediately go to settings where you click on the VM201 to go to its network settings. Here I introduced the dyndns name of my network. Note that in these settings, it must be the bare name without . The port number 9760 is already there. The app adds the http:// and : stuff. TheVM201 network page (as access over a web prowser) should tell that the listening port is for smartphone apps only. I tried changing the port number to 9762 and changed the router port forwarding accordingly. It works. I didn’t need to change the port in the VM201 app settings since I have a different external port number and the router redirects to the new internal app listening port.

Finally, you will likely wish to use remote control with your smartphone from within the LAN as well as over the internet. In the Iphone web browser, log on to the web interface from within the LAN and then add the control page to the home screen. Then use the app externally and the web icon internally. The web interface looks good on the iPad also. Since there isn’t a dedicated ipad app, you could have another icon to reach the VM201 over the web interface also externally.

Don’t add user name and password while you try things out. You’ll be asked to authenticate each time and safari won’t remember. With the app, the password is saved (if you wish).

The VM201 email notification has a serious short coming in that it won’t allow the security protocols most servers demand. Velleman is fine with Tellenet in Belgium but I have Skynet and Gmail which won’t work according to Velleman support. There is no more room in the processor. Guess Telia in Sweden won’t work either. Are there any recommendations? No changes with the new firmware?

It has been said by support that one can use only one VM201 in a LAN. This limitation might be gone with the new firmware, at least if you access the card from outside the LAN with a smartphone and use different listening ports with the different IP addresses. from inside the LAN, the different Ip addresses should make selecting the card possible. Accessing several web interfaces using a PC from the outside should be possible by using different external ports and port 80 as the internal port number. The different external ports will make the router direct the connection to the desired IP address.

With the newer VM204 card there should be less limitations. Email notification should work with the usual providers. Also, you can select cards inside the app. I got the VM204 also but didn’t try it yet. It took some time to get to know the VM201 :slight_smile:

Regards

Jonas

Bruxelles et Öland/Suède

Thank you. With your explanation I can now control my VM201 from anywhere in the world. VM201 is installed in the LAN behind my Proximus BBox3 router. The essential part for me was actually setting up my (free) dyndns.