VM201 or VM8090 for remote internet control

Hi all,

I have a VM8090 8-CHANNEL USB RELAY CARD lying around here for quite a while. I wanted to use it to control my lights in my house when I’m not at home (so through my smartphone).

If I want to do that with a VM8090, am I right that I need some kind of seperate controller like a Raspberry Pi to run the server software, and to connect to the internet?

Because maybe then it’s a lot easier to just buy a VM201…it seems to do exactly what I want. Or are there any other important differences between the two for my situation?

Thanks!
Bart

Hi,

VM8090 is not a stand alone unit.
It requires a computer to run the software.

VM201 is a stand alone unit.
This sounds like it would fit your application better.
You will need to forward ports on your router.

Hmm ok…then I better try to sell the VM8090 and buy a VM201.

Thanks for you confirmation!

Be Aware the e-mail functionality is not secured!

[quote=“VEL337”]Be Aware the e-mail functionality is not secured![/quote]Meaning that TLS and SSL which are required by a lot of e-mail providers are not supported

Hmm ok, good to know.
And are there plans to do something about this, or are there hardware/software limitations that prevent this?

Thanks

There are no plans to do this simply there is no room more in the processor to add this functionality.

Also if you have the time you could wait a few months because something awesome is coming :wink:

[quote=“VEL337”]There are no plans to do this simply there is no room more in the processor to add this functionality.

Also if you have the time you could wait a few months because something awesome is coming ;)[/quote]
Thanks for the info…I’ll wait for the awesome part then! :wink:

Is it possible to obtain more info about this? Very curious…

Check our twitter account :wink: @Velleman_RnD
There is a picture from a prototype on there.
twitter.com/Velleman_RnD

Hi,

What’s the awesome part? :slight_smile:
Is it out yet?

Thanks

This is it. https://twitter.com/Velleman_RnD/status/443055881513865216
The project is currently on hold because i’m to busy with finalizing the apps for the WFS210.
And if you’re interested in the software of our projects check our github profile => https://github.com/Velleman

Best Regards,
VEL337

Aha…do I understand correctly that with this card, I can just connect the card via ethernet to my pc and write a Windows application for it to control the relais?

That would be awesome indeed because software development is not a problem, but I’m not familiar enough with Linux.

Any idea when it will be ready?

Sorry can’t give a date atm.
And yes. You can control it with a windows application through a socket.
The firmware will be in C, the webages will be ofcourse in HTML/Javascript, and the apps will be written in C#
I hope to resume the project in a couple of weeks.

Best Regards,
VEL337

Hi,
An update here =)
i can finally resume the VM204 project.
The current source code can be found here