Vm144 – telephone ring detector with relay output

Hello,

I am interested on this module or maybe the K8086. However, I am not sure whether any of them will operate on my telephone system.

I have a fibre optics cable with telephone, TV and Internet. The telephone line comes out of the modem Thomson (Technicolor) modem-router TG784n v3 through a Registered Jack (RJ).

Will those modules work with this normal set up as specified? If they don’t, will you have something similar to actuate anything like a separately powered bell or a fire alarm? Or maybe there is a way around to make them work?

Thank you for the needed information.

Hi,

What you have is a TA (Telephone Adapter) VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol)
Some products will work with some TAs while others will not.
It might be very hard to say for sure if this will work or not.

Thank you. So, what else do you need to know about the hardware to give me the answer I need, please? Here is some more information from my side. I knew it is VOIP, but that is not the problem, my problem.

The cable arrives to a small box from the street. From there, the fibre goes to a ONT7-SFU (Optical Network Terminal – Single Family Unit), for the termination of the PON (Passive Optical Network). It deploys a high bit rate data service and digital television (HSI, IPTV) through a GigaBit Ethernet interface and an analogic video service via a coaxial interface. This solution complies with the ITU (International Telecommunications Union) G.984.x recommendation. The Ethernet interface output is connected to the above mentioned modem-router following the telephone output, both as described on my starting post.

The information I am providing to you should be enough to tell me what I need about something Velleman manufactures and only Velleman is supposed to know. If you believe you need further information, please advise. You tell me that Some products will work with some TAs while others will not. That is precisely why I am asking you, because it is your product, not someone else’s. May I had not given enough data, but I believe I do now.

Before I buy anything I have to know what I am actually buying. Not later, and throw it away because it does not work. Thank you very much for the expected information and your needed help.

The problem is the box that your phone plugs into.
Most TAs try to simulate PTSN (Public Telephone Switched Networks) or a POTs line (Plain Old Telephone Line)
Some of them do a good job while others don’t

In the specs of the VM144 it is stated PTSN not VOIP
See below.

10.000 mcd led !

[color=#BF0000] connects to PSTN line[/color]
RJ11 connector
supply: 12VDC/100mA adapter (Ex. PS1203)
output Contact (NO): 1A max.
dimensions: 3.15 x 2.16 x 1.37"

Yes, you are right about the specs, but I am missing some thing. If the VM144 senses the signal change when the line sends a ringing pulse, will it make difference whatever the line is? Because if it does sense it might work. This is what I ignore and need to know. You do not say that it does not work, either.
Thanks.

Once again
I can not say if it will or will not work!
Ring voltage (USA I don’t know about other parts of the world) is about 85 volts AC.
I have had some TAs that work ok on my phone but not my fax machine and others that will work with anything I attach to them.
Chances are that it will work but I will not say one way or the other.
I’m just trying to explain from my experience.
If you have a digital PBX that you are trying to plug it into I can say no it will not work.
The VM144 is analog only.

You could ask your provider (since it is their equipment) what they think.

OK, I understand your point, but I don’t think my provider will know anything about the VM144 module. On my search for something to make the phone ring much louder (it was loud enough when I had an analogue ADSL line and service), I asked them a couple of weeks ago for a way how to, but they said they did not know. Therefore, I have only two possible ways: find how to do it with the optical cable or go back to analogue.

The ringing voltage in Europe is a little lower than in the USA, generally between 50 to 90 VAC at 25 Hz.