VM 140 Question , is it suitable for my problem?

<If I need to translate this , please let me know>

PROBLEEM:
Ik ben bezig met een wedstrijd te organiseren voor een scenario paintball game. en om de puntentelling makkelijker te maken zou ik ze willen trachten te automatiseren. Ik zal even uitleggen hoe de punten geteld moeten worden:

In het speelveld zijn een aantal punten die
verdedigd moeten en veroverd moeten worden. Ofwel is het punt in het bezit van team A ofwel van team B. in het begin van het spel zijn ze van niemand.Als team A een punt veroverd, moeten ze op knop A drukken ( of een schakelaar in stand A zetten) en vanaf dan zou de tijd geregistreerd moeten worden. Per tijdseenheid (minuut) dat het punt in bezit is van team A krijgen ze een punt. Als team B het punt veroverd, zetten zij de schakelaar in stand B. vanaf dan stopt de tijdsregistratie van team A voor dat punt,
maar ze moet wel ergens bewaard blijven. Nu begint de tijd voor Team B te lopen…

het alternatief zonder elektronica is met 2 vlaggen aan 1 touw aan een mast, je moet je eigen vlag optrekken, en de vlag van het andere team zakt dan, maar dan moet er iemand bij staan die de tijd opneemt. en vermits we een lang (lees verscheidene uren) spel willen spelen is dit een zeer lastige optie. Met elektronica zou 1 persoon vanuit de veilige zone alle punten kunnen in’t oog houden.

Nu was ik daarvoor uitgekomen bij de Velleman kit VM 140 een usb interface kaart, om de schakelpunten op de kaart te laten binnenkomen, en dan vie een nog zelf te schrijven programma de tijden en bijbehorende punten te kunnen opvolgen…
(link naar kit: velleman.be/be/nl/product/view/?id=369162 )

mijn vraag is eigelijk: denken jullie dat het mogelijk is met deze interface om mijn idee te laten werken?

het is een lang verhaal, maar alvast bedankt voor de hulp…

MY problem :

I’m organising a scenario paintball game, and i want to make it a bit easier for ourselves. I would like to automize the counting of the points.

On the playing field are X number of points (max 5) that need to be captured by one team or another (A or B). When the game starts the points are not captured by any of the teams. When Team A captures a point, They need to put a switch in position “A”. Time starts running…for each full minute (or x minutes) they possess this point, they receive X points. Now when team b captures this point, they need to put the switch in position “B”, time starts counting for team B for this point. For each different point (max 5 for example) it should be possibile to register the time it was in wich team’s hands. So not only the last period.

so i should write a program where i can see all times after the game. to get a right score sheet.

I want to know if something like this is possible with this interface card?

greets
Henk

Well, I left logic some fourty years ago (being 46 this year), is this a logic or an electronic question? Don’t ask me, I’m nearly bombed out with this one…

Looking over your project again, I guess you want to trigger the VM140 from an external source? Well, that’s what it’s designed for. But I think your goal of counting times in the way, what you’ve described is way to advanced for the (generalised) FW in this kit, you probably have to program a microprocessor more or less specificly for such a project. I’d love to help you further, just haven’t got the time… (being an embedded programmer, i.e.) Revising: Is this a mobile application or a stationary one? If stationary, it could be done by reading the USB-IF at high speed, if mobile, look at mobile USB, never tried it, it may work, but with the all-round-time , I guess you have to read it afayc.

yes i want to trigger it with switches (if possible even wireless switches (fm transmitted or something, ideas?)

is it possible to let these switches trigger a program specially written for this card? so i can see it on my laptop when a point switches from team for example?

Assuming you already have some reliable trigger system (that’s not an issue? (or are we all going paintballing on this thingy??)). Looking at the kit, inputs 0 and 1 has counters, and thus could probably be used in such a setup. However the logic behind all this could, I guess, not be accomplished in this kind’a simple FW/kit. You simply have to read the data into a more advanced computer /program(at required speed for your goal), and process it there. And as I said, if mobile, you have to look in to some wireless USB-solutions, of which I have no experience.

it is not a stationary setup… :slight_smile:

i think it should be easier when i write a program wich does the counting of the points, i’ll just have to find a way to register how long each input is activated… from there it is a programmable problem i guess :slight_smile:

SO i need a chip ho can tell my pc (by usb) how long certain inputs where active…

This kit cannot tell that input on-time, it may if FW where would be rewritten, though (and if ya SW could enterpret it). It may be possible to do this, given the /by/ Velleman given round time of 20ms. Another solution would be to put oscillators on inputs 0 and 1 (clocking the inputs ON). and then read out the resulting count, but how advanced do you want to get, you tell…

are you saying the signal will not come in on-time, but with a 20millisecond delay? i think i can live with that :slight_smile: delay may even be a lot more,that is not a problem.