Vertex K8400 - all new to me

Hey everyone!

This is my first core xy type of printer, and already noticed something strange with it!
By the way, i bought it second hand for peanuts, so it has been used.

I cannot seem to find a off switch, or an off button to turn it off? Only a small button to reset it.

also when i try to home it, when it has the last few centimeters before hitting the endstop it growls reaaally loud, like it’s having a hard time going in that direction (with the motors off, i tried to move it around, but seems like i have to use a little bit of force…?)

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Christian from Denmark

Dear @Smygou

First for the Vertex K8400 there’s no Power OFF switch.
If you want a ON OFF switch, You can add one like this: Vertex K8400 power switch by Zannddor - Thingiverse

For the problem with homing (loud noise before hit endstop), You can check this:

Also check for Printhead jamming:
=> The alignment of the printer head axis (cross) and axes X Y is not correct.

How to solve:

Make sure to install the printer firmly on a stable surface. If not, adjust the feet until the printer is stable.
Next, move the printer head back and forth, left to right with one hand. Make sure not to force, as you should be able to do this without moving the printer itself. If the printer moves while trying to move the printer head, then the axes are not aligned correctly and the printer head is jamming itself.

If the printer head jams when trying to move back and forth (Y axis), try and move the two blocks in- or outwards (1). This depends whether the opposite axes (2) are pushed in- or outwards at the Y-movement. Moving may require some force. See Picture below

If the printer head jams when trying to move left to right (X axis), try and move the two blocks in- or outwards (1). This depends whether the opposite axes (2) are pushed in- or outwards at the X-movement. Moving may require some force. See picture below

Best Regards,
Velleman Support

Thanks alot, ill get right to it!

I do have another issue here, my extruder clicks, as in trying to extrude more than the printer can shoot out, and i’ve tried to put the flow to 75% in cura, to not a big of difference, i used the guide to level it correctly, and the height is on point now.

What is the optimal e-step value? it is of course totally stock, as it came new.

Thanks in advance!

Oh and the hotend is not clogged, it runs very fine through when i move the z axis and i let it shoot it out.

Hello @Smygou ,

For the software, use the Custom Repetier Software for Vertex K8400 available from here:
https://www.velleman.eu/downloads/files/vertex/software/vertex-3d-printer-repetier-host-1-6-2.zip

This custom repetier software is most compatible with machine settings and the filament settings for K8400. This software uses also the cura engine.

Try this software first, maybe this solves the extruder problem.

=> E-step value is standard and calibrated to: 200
See firmware: Configuration.h line: 443
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {134.74,134.74,4266.66,200} // array (x,y,z,e)

The correct hight between nozzle tip and bed plate is 0,15mm.

Best Regards,
Velleman Support