Vertex Delta issues

Hello fellow 3d maniacs! I have a problem/question.

Last saturday i recieved my Vertex Delta K8800! Super exciting! :smiley: I’ve followed all instruction did all calibrations trought the manual and did my first print. I printed benchy and noticed that the extruder motor was ticking halfway trough the print but i’ve let it finish. The result was sad because it didnt extruded enough filament i guess? https://imgur.com/a/RR764PY
After that i’ve unloaded the filament loosend the “loose” screw on the extruder motor and reinserted the filament. This seemd to help a bit but not every print. Any tips to prevent the extruder motor from ticking? i’ve heard that you can up the temp to prevent this? (i’m using PLA btw)

Last night i noticed that every print was failing. Only 1 out of 13 printed properly. Especialy when i’m printing in the middle of the bed it’s a mess. It’s doesnt seems leveled properly so it drags all filament all over the plate for it’s initial layer.
https://imgur.com/a/sswXr9E
But i’ve calibrated before every print:( When i print on the side of the bed it seems to work better. (the one print that didn’t fail) A few times it even jammed the nozzle trough the buildtak which is now sadly ruined. (a cut right trough the middle) Anyone knows if this can be replaced under waranty? or do i have to buy a new one after 3 days use :weary:

Do you guys maybe have some tips for proper calibration? I do calibrate height, auto calibrate and then save settings.

The buildtak plate is now a warzone. And for when i replace it i would love to recieve some tips on how to clean it properly and remove finished prints:)

I hope someone can shine some light on the topics! Thanks in advance!!

Cheers

Hey! Same issue here, it’s hard to get started when you end up ruining your first BuildTak sheet because the PLA gets bonded to it and is impossible to fully remove.

– edit - I realise I haven’t given enough info here, so here it goes!

• There are no mechanical issues
  • I have printed various items successfully!
  • I have now fixed any issues I had with the printhead crashing into the bed.
    ** Main issue was print bed being too tight (had to shave the 3 stoppers down with a blade to enable a loose-fit) & excess BuildTak around the edges (despite having trimmed it once already - make sure you double check!)

The only issue that remains is understanding how to set (if that’s even necessary beyond auto-calibration) the nozzle height and first layer printing

I’ve also posted some questions up here (where I bought the printer from), but it looks like there are not too many active users on the forum :slight_smile:

1. How can I dial in my settings to get the right amount of stick using PLA on BuildTak?
  2. Can/should/shouldn’t you use hairspray on BuildTak, is that a bad idea - or a redundant one?
  3. After Auto calibration, is it possible to set the nozzle height after and then save it? Will this help BuildTak adhesion?
  4. What’s the best way to calibrate the nozzle height?

Also - As you can see from the images, it seems I have a calibration issue - but no matter what I do to ensure the build plate and sensors are clean and stable, this happens in any orientation…

Bump? @Support_Team

Thank you :slight_smile:

Did you test the callibration potentiometer ?
When you test the callibration tap gently at the 3 points, with every gentle tap the led should flash.

Are the three belts on a similar tension ?

It’s clear with the pictures that on one spot the printhead is to low or the bed is to high it’s all perspective. All the other points seem to be perfect layer height.

Thanks for the suggestions - I have already tested/am testing those things each time I print or as applicable.

Turns out my issues were nothing to do with calibration/mechanics of the printer, and all to do with the firmware version. See my post about this here!

Yoo, Thanks for bringing this up!

After weeks of fighting my printer i gave up and put it in the attic. I couldnt enjoy it anymore after so many messed up prints. Also had to buy new buildtak and that got ruined aswell.
Im gonna bookmark this one and save it for when i want to start new projects :slight_smile:
Hope it gets better next time!

Anyhow, thanks for the help mate. Really appreciate it!

Cheers!

1 Like

Hello Mausserr,

The correct procedure to Calibrate, are these steps in this order: for Re-calibration see below:

1. go to Vertex Calibration:
  2. “Auto Home”
  3. “Calibrate Height”
  4. “Auto Calibration”.
  5. Store settings. After message “Calibration OK”.

But if also printer says “Calibration is OK”, and printer head crashed into printbed (buildtak) or rods falling of the magnets while leveling before the print task ==> The Calibration is NOT OK.

To Solve this:

Check the Calibration problems Step per step and very precise! (§ Calibration problems).

Most common reasons Calibration problems: Or a combination of these points.

• Belt tension not ok for every axes X - Y & Z, too loose:
  • Magnet holder bolts on the diagonal ALU rods not tightened enough.
  • End-stops not placed on correct height.
  • Printbed glass is clamped between the studs
  • Tie raps not tightened enough on Vertical sledges and copper bushings.
  • Vertical Sledges are less then 72mm width
  • Check the pulleys on motors X Y Z (if they are fixed well wit setscrew: sometimes it’s loose).
  • Use not too much oil on the rods.
  • Check the piëzo’s.
  • Check the rods on scratches:
    • The copper bushings should slide very smoothly over the rods without stuttering. Remove the tie raps from the vertical sledges. Then if you place the bushing on top of the rod and you have a light tap on it, it should fall down. If it gets stuck halfway or elsewhere on the rod, there’s a problem with the rod.

• Clean the Rods (You can use isopropyl alcohol or better a little bit acetone for this, and check that the bushes slide smoothly over the rods.

If printer crashed while calibration, or while leveling before print. **RECALIBRATE the printer Always! if not, every print job will fail! And check these things above again and after this do a Re-calibration in this order!

Re-calibrate procedure:

1. go to SETTINGS
  2. Restore failsafe
  3. Initialize EEPROM
  4. Store Settings
  5. go to Vertex Calibration
  6. Auto Home
  7. Calibrate Height
  8. Auto Calibration
  9. after message “Calibration OK” => Store Settings.

Please Note,
If you move the printer, or touch the print head manually, or move the axes (or sledges), or the printhead crashes. it’s Always Recalibrate!

Best Regards,
Velleman support