Velleman K7105 - Faulty Display

Hi there,

I have a Velleman K7105 that I built several years ago. I used it for a short time (fully functional), then stored it away. I have just taken it out to reuse it and I have discovered several of the horizontal and vertical lines in the display are dead. I removed and reseated the display, but this did not fix the problem. There seems to have been some sort of inexplicable corrosion of one of the screw heads and around one end of the multi-pin PCB connector, which I have cleaned off but this too has made no difference. I cannot understand this as it has not been exposed to moisture or any corrosive chemicals.

Could someone suggest where the problem may lie and how I might repair it?

If a photograph of the faulty display is required please let me know.

Sorry to read you experience problems with your kit.
Unfortunately, this item which has been introduced in 1997 has been obsolete since 2008.
Therefore, spare parts are getting scarce. Most likely, there will not be any new displays left. Anyway, we might still have some refurbished ones.
You can return the defective display or the complete scope for inspection and we’ll see what we can do.

Velleman Projects Tech. Dept.
Legen Heirweg 33
9890 Gavere
Belgium

(US residents: please call (817) 284 77 85 for RMA#)

Thank you for your prompt reply. I think I will send the screen to you.

I have a few question I hope you can answer:

• Will you firstly attempt to repair my own display module or immediately just send me a refurbished module? Assuming it is repairable, I would prefer my own unit to be repaired as the display has hardly had any use.
  • How much would a repaired or refurbished unit cost?
  • Do you have a standard turnaround time for such repairs or replacements?

Thanks and kind regards

We will not replace the scope, only the display. We prefer to have the complete scope instead of the display, otherwise we cannot test the display in your particular unit.

Should not cost more than 10-20 euro (shipping not incl.)

Turnaround: difficult to say, depends on repair volume, carrier, your location, etc… This can be from a couple of days to a couple of weeks.

Hello Support,

I have posted the LCD display to you today so I hope it will be with you in a few days. I have provided my e-mail address in the enclosed letter with the display for any contact and payment instructions. Please could you let me know when the display arrives, just so I know and don’t assume it has gone astray.

Thank you

Hi Support,

Royal Mail tracking confirms the display was delivered 15th May. Could you provide me with a status update either here or via my e-mail address please?

Thanks and kind regards,

Adrian

Repair dept. has treated this issue earlier this week and display should be on its way back.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I received the replacement module this morning and it works perfectly.

Thank you and Velleman very much for a great service.

Kindest regards

Hi,

I have the exact same problem and I know I’m late to the party, but is there any chance you can still provide a replacement display?

Regards, Nick