Usb port is broken

Hi All,

While i am doing some test with my new K8200 I broke my USB port on the controller board. I already try to hardwire the port but seems like I am doing something wrong. When I power up the board it gets really hot (without any load) and LD6 Leds (both) are on when I connected to a PC (and stay on all the time). Please help me to wake up my device. Thank you.

Try removing the stepper driver boards and see if the board boots up without them. I had a very hot board one day, and one of the driver boards was the cause. Same error as you, both LED’s constantly on and some parts really hot.

I disconnect the drivers but heatting problem (I don’t know if it it a real problem?) still the same. It doesn’t get hot suddenly takes 2-3 minutes. LD1 is blinking twice and stops (I guess it is a good thing :slight_smile: ).

Beside that, my biggest problem how to hard wire the USB pins correctly. As my USB port wipe out completely.

Can any one send me close up picture of the microprocessor (the one just next to the USB port)? Seems like there are some pins are soldered together (it might be my mistake, just want to make sure)

This is mine. You can say ok or not!!

Hi ulubilge,

that’s the USB-to-UART converter “FT232R”, not the microprocessor. Both bridges (pins 19 & 20 and 25 & 26) are there by default, so it’s ok like that.

LD1 blinking is ok, too, so the ATmega seems to work.

You mentioned that something gets hot - which device or IC is it?

Cheers,
kuraasu

[quote=“kuraasu”]Hi ulubilge,

that’s the USB-to-UART converter “FT232R”, not the microprocessor. Both bridges (pins 19 & 20 and 25 & 26) are there by default, so it’s ok like that.

LD1 blinking is ok, too, so the ATmega seems to work.

You mentioned that something gets hot - which device or IC is it?

Cheers,
kuraasu[/quote]

Thank you very much for your answer. This is the component that gets hot.

Do you have an idea why the LD6 leds light up constantly when I connect it to a PC?

Hi ulubilge,

[quote=“ulubilge”]
Do you have an idea why the LD6 leds light up constantly when I connect it to a PC?[/quote]
it’s normal that both LEDs (the second one is LD5, btw) light up at first. However, they should turn dark when the board is powered by the main supply (15 V) and blink only occasionally, indicating data transfer between board and host computer. Is that the case (as far as you can test it with the broken USB connection) or are those two LEDs constantly on, even when the board is powered?

Cheers,
kuraasu

hey ulubilge,

the component that gets hot is a 5V Voltage regulator! (I think it generates 5V for the microprozessor!)
have you a shortage of the USB- 5V cables???

[quote=“marco1994”]the component that gets hot is a 5V Voltage regulator! (I think it generates 5V for the microprozessor!)
have you a shortage of the USB- 5V cables???[/quote]

I check the cables seems like there is no shortage. The microprossesor looks like ok. When I power up the device it gives 2 blink on the led.

The two blinks are normal at powerup.
This is the booting of the Atmel-prozessor.
On my Bord it also blinks twice at powerup.

ulubilge,

Did you try to unplug everything from the board and apply power and check the regulator again for heat.
Also dumb question.
There are 2 stand off that go between the frame and the control card.
You did use these right?
With out them the control board would touch the frame and short out.

The same happend to me, but it was easy to repair.
I bend the legs a bit down and solder the connector back. then added some more solder for strength on the sides.
working perfectly, like new. no 150 euros for a new board.

Note: DON’T put solder on the legs. only bend them carefully.

Hello,
anfortenetly i ripped USB holder from my bord and when i try to solder back the contact from the bord passed out.
It is some place where i can solder wire and conect it to cable?
Thanks

Try a search here on the forum for USB ripped broken.

That should provide some possible solutions with pictures.

Yes, i found it and repaired , thanks a lot … i am really hapy that it is working again :slight_smile:

Nice to hear you got it fixed.

Happy printing!