System Requirements

I want to build a stand alone computer for the K8200 but what are the minimum system requirements?

Thanks,

Maria

Maria74,

This month we will release a standalone unit.
This unit allows you to run the 3D printer without a pc.
The only thing you will need is an SD-card with the gcode on it.

Greetings
VEL760

Hi VEL760,

This standalone unit, will it be with a display or something? Cause if you’ll be able to run the printer without a pc, how are you gonna check if the temperature is still ok and end a print early if something should go wrong?

Hi this is the link to the stand alone module.
http://www.vellemanusa.com/products/view/?id=526961

It shows the extruder and bed temperature, X/Y/Z position, etc.

• It has a menu that you can navigate through with the button on the side. The menu allows you to control certain aspects of the printer like starting or stopping a print, setting the print speed, etc.

I would like such a display, however, I do not want to have to run around with SD cards in this age of networked computing.

I already have a raspberry that can run octopi so I can print over wifi, but I cant manage to get any useful output on a local display (it does have a nice webbased GUI)

THe velleman kit would provide the display, but without wifi or even ethernet, thats a no go for me.

I guess Im stuck until someone either releases some code for octopi to drive an LCD, or someone makes a standalone controller with ethernet or wifi?

You can use this display along with your octoprint setup. It will show all the information regardless how you are controlling it (via usb, octoprint, or sd)

Hi P4man,

I think there’s no real problem there. My printer currently runs as an interim solution from a Rumba board plus LCD. Parallel control from both inputs, USB / Repetier Host as well as the LCD’s encoder button, is possible.
When a temperature or position is changed via RH, the display reflects the machine state a second or so later. Only RH does not “see” the changes made via the LCD, since it only pulls values for the current extruder and bed temperature from the printer, nothing else. But that would not be your setup anyway - if I understand correctly, you want to control the printer via Octoprint with additional monitoring of the machine via the dispay, right?

Cheers,
kuraasu

ok, thats good news. Yes, my “plan” is to drive the printer from a raspberry over wifi and have a local display showing some key stats. I do assume this display will not be able to show progress (%, layers, ETA, whatever) of a print thats controlled a USB controller (raspberry or laptop) ?

Also, will the standalone controller be able to pause prints and even move the extruder manually? Probably too much to wish for, but Im thinking of being able to change filament in mid print. EVen if thats possible I assume it would only be possible for prints from the sdcard ?

To explain my reasoning: my printer is in a separate room, and Id love to be able to print from my study, and when checking on the print, be able to keep an eye on some key parameters, and in an ideal world, pauze/move/resume/ without needing to haul my laptop, or running from one room to the other all the time.

Moving all axes, pausing print (pausing only when printing from sd) and much more is possible from the standalone module, preheating, changing filament, … all possible.

but yes it will not show progress, only when printing from SD it will show a progress value…