SYMMETRIC 1A POWER SUPPLY kit - K8042 (for Hi-Fi amplifier)

Hey there,

I have bought SYMMETRIC 1A POWER SUPPLY kit - K8042.
I need exactly 15V power supply for my Hi-Fi amplifier.

According to your manual (velleman.eu/downloads/0/illu … _k8042.pdf), I should buy 2x18V transformer. However value is on the edge of <12V, 15V> interval (manual: +/- 12 … 15V 2 x 18VAC). I need exactly 15V power supply for my Hi-Fi amplifier (14.9V or less is NOT suitable!)

There are two transformers which I can buy:

I.
2x18V, Power: 40VA => Secondary winding current 1 and 2 is: 1.1A
tme.eu/gb/details/ts40_043/t … ing/indel/

II.
2x24V, Power: 40VA => Secondary winding current 1 and 2 is: 0.85A
tme.eu/gb/details/ts40_047/t … ing/indel/

I would like to ask you for advice: which transformer is more suitable for my purpose?

Thanks for your help

Hello!

This answer is SUPER late… but maybe someone will benefit or correct me and I´ll learn something

I´d buy the 2x24V version. I haven´t used this circuit but isn´t the output adjustable? If your amp has very tight tolerances, I´m not convinved that a Welleman kit is the right choice for you.
At least I´d replace the critical parts with smaller tolerance values. For example some IC´s that I´ve come across are very pickety with voltages… I´ve used 1% tolerance parts in these “tight” spots.

I am no expert with transformers but if you are planning to use this with hi-fi amp would
a toroidial transfomer be more suitable? At least if power supply is inside the same casing with the rest of the amp circuit.
It will probably cost you a little more, but as far as I know they have smaller magnetic field (or something along those lines…) surrounding them, so you don´t get as much interference.

This is just a suggestion. Since I don´t know much about your project, this could very well be a moot point.

I´ve used following part for a symmetrical power supply project
NT Magnetics 55112-P1S2

Please someone wiser correct me if I´m wrong.

-J