Swap between Win8 and WinXP - win XP no connection

We built and got the printer running using my own laptop (the son in the family). Since it’s my dads printer I thought it could be good to install everything on his laptop to. However, the virtual COMport drivers were installed, Rep.Host also but when the printer is connected with via the USB only.

Red and green light light up on the PCB, but no COMport can be seen. When “connecting” in the Rep.Host software the log says:

"OpenGL version:1.1.0
OpenGL extensions:GL_WIN_swap_hnt GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture
OpenGL renderer:GDI Generic
Fast VBOs for rendering not supported. Using slower default method.

5 Commands Waiting"

We have tried re-installing the virtual COMports but it still doesn’t show up in the device manager.

Does the printer itself get “printed” to a certain computer or operating system? Surely not?

Any hits on how we can fix this, or links to a similar thread in the forum?

Best regards
Niklas

Hi,

What are you seeing in device manager?
What’s the operating system?

Hi!

The computer that doesn’t work runs WinXP, the one the does (mine) runs Win8.

In the device manager the printer shows up as a USB-device that Win wants to check for drivers automatically but fails in doing so.

Have you installed the XP drivers for the Arduino board on your computer.
They can be found at. http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Hi,

You could install the all in one software package for the K8200 from here
http://www.vellemanusa.com/downloads/files/downloads/setup_repetierhost_k8200_0_95f.zip

This will install the drivers, software and the ini files.
However after you install it go in to the printer settings and make sure Reset on Connect is set to disabled.

Hope this helps.

Hi Leijon,

the Windows driver install routine allows you to specify a folder where the driver is located. From the FTDI website, you can download the driver files as zip (not exe), then unpack to any suitable temporary folder and re-connect the board. In the install process, locate that folder. Note that, although Windows asks for a folder, it will search for a specific type of file (.inf), so you have to select the folder that contains those files - which is quite easy, since it’s the top hierarchy level from the zip file. The install process will then copy all necessary system files from your temporary folder to Windows\system32 etc.

Cheers,
kuraasu

[quote=“kuraasu”]Hi Leijon,

the Windows driver install routine allows you to specify a folder where the driver is located. From the FTDI website, you can download the driver files as zip (not exe), then unpack to any suitable temporary folder and re-connect the board. In the install process, locate that folder. Note that, although Windows asks for a folder, it will search for a specific type of file (.inf), so you have to select the folder that contains those files - which is quite easy, since it’s the top hierarchy level from the zip file. The install process will then copy all necessary system files from your temporary folder to Windows\system32 etc.

Cheers,
kuraasu[/quote]

Thank you for your help! There is a connection with the winXP laptop and the printer now, the motors work as they should =)

However, as I came to the configure of Slic3r there is a issue. As I press “configure” nothing happens and I get:
variable is not of type Wx::Window at C:/Program/Repetier-Host/Slic3r/lib/std/Slic3r/GUI.pm line 204.
in the log.

Is it a matter of re-installing Repetier-Host?

EDIT: Tried a re-install with no success. Same logtext as above.

Best regards
Niklas

Hi Niklas,

a quick Google-search reveals that some versions of Slic3r have this unfortunate problem when running on localised Windows systems, due to non-ASCII characters in the user path; see github.com/alexrj/Slic3r/issues/651

Cheers,
kuraasu