Still Can't connect k8048

Can someone please help my cause. it’s been two months and I still can’t connect my K8048. I tried on a older XP machine could not find the device saying no velleman device is attached. So I purchased a new serial port connector for my win 8.1 machine at home. I see com 1 in the device manager, the software installs just fine. but same problem can’t find device. I tried using an older serial cable that I used to use for a modem, then I tried making a cable from the instructions from the kit. Same problem. If anyone has gone through this problem could you please shine some light on me. Thank You in advance.

Maybe there is an assembly problem with the K8048.
If you can provide LINKS to HI-RES and SHARP pictures of both component and solderside, then we can take a look and maybe provide some feedback.
We also offer inspection/repair if you send in your kit.

Here is a link to some pictures, let me know if you need more pictures.

onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=8 … =folder%2c

Also is there a way to test the com port and the cable? it would be nice to know that all is working up to the connector on the PIC.

Hi Kid,

Maybe a silly remark but…
Are you using an usb-to-serial cable?

I see a leaflet under the 4th picture from the left “CablesToGo”

If so and the cable uses a Prolific chip (PL2303), it will not work.

The only usb-to-serial working is one with a FTDI chip.

You can buy one at conrad. see: conrad.nl/nl/usb-20-adapter … 71791.html

Hope this helped a bit.

Beer

No I am not using a serial to USB, Does anyone know where I can get the proper cable. At least I will be able to eliminate the cable out of the equation.

Just measure the cable:
1 to 1
2 to 2
3 to 3
4 to 4
and so on.

2 and 3 should not be twisted.

Make sure you don’t have a cable with only 2,3 and 5 connected (Rxd, Txd and Gnd)

You should be able to find one at any electronics shop or computer store.
Tell them you need a straight through cable.
not a cross over or null modem cable.

The K8048 does require a non regulated 12 volt or regulated 15 volt DC adapter center positive.