[SOLVED] Temperature drop during print

Hi,

i have a strange issue while printing. After 1-2h of printing time, my temperature drops below the melt point.
Normally my printer prints the most beautifull about 170°c. So since the last days, after about 1-2h of printing time, the temperature falls below 150°c, resulting in a to low temperature to extrude fillament.

The cooling runs on the same speed all time. I can’t imagine what causes this issue. Can anybody help me?

Thanks!

///EDIT:
Solution is on page 1, post #15.
Thanks again!

//EDIT 2:
Problem showed off again, did the same steps but this time it literally destroyed my whole Printhead.
See on post #25

nobody knows a solution? :frowning:

Do you have 1 or 2 printheads? If you have 2 does it do the same on both heads or you have just one? My gut feeling tells me it is a termistor issue. Hense i was going to sugest to try if you had 2 heads and not the same issue on the other and move it from the working one to the one where you have the issue. That way test if it is the termistor or something before it in the curcuit. Could be that the Termistor over time in heat get problems to maintain the reistance. PS if you can try this remember to switch firmware to the 1 head or put the faulty termistor on the second head or you will get a min error.

// Marlark

What do the temperature graphs show? If you look at the history, once the temperature drops, is it constant or erratic?

If it’s erratic, my guess is that it’s just a loose wire going into the green connectors on the print head. I’d check those are all good.

If I’m not mistaken 170C is right at the cold extrusion point.
You may want to bring it up to 175C to allow for temp dips.

Thank you for your reply. No i just have one printhead, and no spareparts :frowning:

[quote=“biscuitlad”]What do the temperature graphs show? If you look at the history, once the temperature drops, is it constant or erratic?
If it’s erratic, my guess is that it’s just a loose wire going into the green connectors on the print head. I’d check those are all good.[/quote]
Thank you, too for the reply.
First i noticed that it takes a lot longer then before to heat up. About 5 minutes to 190°c, thats very long. Any ideas why?
Until now i didn’t printed from my PC, only from SD Card, so i couldn’t get a chance to look at the graph, but i just started a print with active monitoring!
But i did some screenshots from the heating process. That looks very irregular to me. Maybe you guys cane see something…
But i checked every cable and wire, everything sits tight! :frowning:

[quote=“Wrong Way”]If I’m not mistaken 170C is right at the cold extrusion point.
You may want to bring it up to 175C to allow for temp dips.[/quote]
Also thank you for your help! Cold extrusion (i didn’t knew that before, thank you!) was the problem. The temperature falls below something ~150°c and the protect function Cold extrusion stops the extruder. Thats right, but the problem is, that the temperature falls below the target by ~20°c.

Is there some kind of draft or wind blowing on the printer?
I had that problem and put some cardboard in the vent (wife was not happy)
You should check the the connections for the heater and the thermistor make sure the screws are tight

[quote=“Wrong Way”]Is there some kind of draft or wind blowing on the printer?
I had that problem and put some cardboard in the vent (wife was not happy)
You should check the the connections for the heater and the thermistor make sure the screws are tight[/quote]

Thanks for your ideas.
No not really. No airflow, except for the Fans, but they run on 100% as i did hundreds of print hours perfectly fine.
Yes good point, but i checked every screw on the headmainboard and also the Pin connectors on the “main” mainboard.

Hard to tell whats the cause :frowning:

Did you check the voltage from the power supply?
Should be 15 volts.

i think this could be a little bit hard during the a print. Do you have a tip how to do this?

You did say that it was taking longer to heat up.
Do this at your own risk.
Maybe put the printer on it’s back and turn the heater on for the extruder.
The only other thing I can think of is run some extension wires from the power supply out to a meter.
Do not let them short out

Hi guys,

my test print stopped after about two hours. Here you can see the temp graph. It is perfectly fine for two hours, when suddenly it can’t hold the temp anymore at the same level.

I have absolutely no clue anymore… :frowning:

[quote=“Wrong Way”]You did say that it was taking longer to heat up.
The only other thing I can think of is run some extension wires from the power supply out to a meter.
Do not let them short out[/quote]

ok, i’ll try this.

[quote=“Wrong Way”]You did say that it was taking longer to heat up.
Do not let them short out[/quote]

OK! I did it. From 20-155°c it was at normal speed, 14.9-15v from the power supply.
From 155 it stops heating, holding the level, a little more a little less, see picture. 14.9-15v from the power supply.
Didn’t really get the 190°c… (if i wait long enough it reaches the 190° and holds it for about 2h…)

You could try tuning the PID parameter. The goal is to stabilize the temperature curve.
Here’s a how to :

• Connect your printer to Repetier

• Go to the “Manual control” tab
    Key in M303 S190 C5 in the G-Code text-box then press Send.
    M303 = PID auto calibrate
    S190 = set the temperature to 190C
    C5 = do 5 iterations

• In the log you will see “PID Autotune start” when the first iteration begins

• After each iteration you’ll get the results in the log window as below.
    Kp: 26.42
    Ki: 1.14
    Kd: 153.24

• Take the values from the last iteration and copy them in the EEPROM settings (Config tab/Firmware EEPROM configuration)

• Click on “Save to EEPROM” and you’re done.

More then likely Raby is right.
The only other thing that comes to mind would be the heating element might be failing.

@raby THANK YOU for the tip!

[quote=“Wrong Way”]More then likely Raby is right.
The only other thing that comes to mind would be the heating element might be failing.[/quote]

is it possible, that this parameters change from one day to another?
I printed about 2kg of PLA and everything was fine until the last days.

Nonetheless, I’ll try it tonight!

I would follow Raby’s advice first.

[quote=“tuxx”]is it possible, that this parameters change from one day to another?
[/quote]
Normally no but there can be a glitch in the specs of some components.

Hi Raby,

i did it. The values are:
Classic PID
Kp: 22.97
Ki: 1.35
Kd: 97.83

these are heavily different to my actuall settings:
P: 63
I: 2.25
D: 440

can this be?! I dont want to crash it…