Should I be lubricating the XY linear bearings?

I have aligned the XY mechanism carefully, but it is still stiff and doesn’t move smoothly.
I couldn’t see in the instructions anything about lubricating the XY linear bearings. The printhead bearings get a drop of oil as does the Z-axis threaded rod. Did I miss something? Is there a reason not to apply oil to the 8mm rods?

Grateful for advice as applying oil will be my next step unless there is a reason not to.

Yes you should
You may also want to look at this link.
http://www.k8xxx-3dprinters.crimed.be/w/index.php?title=XY-Carriage_Alignment

Thanks Wrong Way. I’d seen and implemented the carriage alignment; Also disassembled and reassembled the belts, pulleys, rods. Checked alignments etc pretty thoroughly. Then apply oil! What a difference, magic. All OK now.

Anyone: did I miss this step from the instructions or was this step simply missing? I’ve looked about five times.

Glad to hear it’s working.

I know I read about the oil somewhere but can’t find it.

These bearings should definitely not be lubricated. The iglidur bearings are “self lubricating”. From the manufacturers FAQ (http://www.igus.co.uk/wpck/7823/iglidurFAQ#Section_8):

If the XY carriage does not move smoothly, it rather is an alignment than a lubrication issue. I had similar problems and it turned out that the distance of the bearing assemblies at the end of the two rods was not perfectly chosen (they were two close together), so the rods and as a consequence the bearings were under constant stress.

I hade similar issus and it helped a lot to losen the screws on the sleds that the x and y rods are attached in.
I put lockingnuts insted of the standard ones so I have them quite lose now and It made a verry big differens in reststens and noise!!
(I tightened the screws untill they pulled the plastik together and then I opened almoast a 1/4 of a turn)

Hi, just finished assembling my 8400. I had the same problem with the bearing assemblies being a bit to close, the effect was that at both ends movement was blocking. Widening a bit (not so easy) resolved the issue. In addition I also loosened the external cover pieces of the 4 rods, just as JRasmus indicated in his post. Printer is currently printing the vertex logo as a first test.