SD Card with wifi support

Hi everyone

I ordered 2 Toshiba W-03 8gb cards that i intend to try out. Instead of adding a wifi adapter to the printer the idea i had was to add that card and use the buildt in wifi on it. I found this thread in a different forum in my search that i found extremly interesting. It need a minor hack in the marlin firmware and bingo you can reach the card via wifi without any specific drivers and such.

http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4058-marlin-reprap-with-toshiba-flashair-wifi-firmware-patch/

My cards is supposed to arrive in the start of next week. I will get back on what i find out on my little project :slight_smile:

// Marlark

Really great idea Marlark.
I am very interesting in your upcoming test results.

Good Luck!
fender

Hi all,
I used those cards for their original job :slight_smile:
I got different manufacturers, and all of them where not reliable for their jobs.

They are very slowly, need direct access to the router or access point.

And in some other cases the WiFi signal itself did not came out strong enough of the camera body.
(Magnesium bodies and CF-card adapters)

But I guess, with the plastic around and a strong WiFi-signal it could work.

For professional photo purpose, it was not useable.

Good luck

A minor status update.

I got them now and i have successfully configured it to connect to my existing WiFi network and rename it and lock the ip number in the router. The ui need a overhaul. I found the developer documentation for the system. And apparently you can replace the ui with your own file browser system. Think I’m going to make my own custom ui for this and I stil need to test it on the printer. But ill get to that part tomorrow.

// Marlark

Hi Marlark,

I am really curious.
Any progress? Does it work just drag and drop files into the root. That is what I want to do.

Regards
fender

Works yes but it aint exactly drag and drop with the windows explorer. However. What you do is you use a upgraded version of the firmware and put a explorer UI mod on it and then you can drag and drop it from the windows explorer onto the web browser page and it ends up in the root or anywhere else you want to have it land on the card. I have used to for a while now and im pritty happy with it but i did have alot of problems.

// Marlark

Oki, thanx for your reply Marlark.
I think I will give it a try.

fender