Scope Durability

Does the Hps 140i have input protection? How easy is it to damage this scope?

Input protection protects unit up to 100Vp.
Voltages beyond 100Vp can damage the unit.

So that would be 200volts peak to peak? So checking circuit board voltages in the 30 volt range should pose no threat correct?

Voltages in that range should not pose any problems.
If you have any doubt, use the ‘x10’ setting on your proble.

How high a voltage can one go on X1 setting? This is my first scope, and the last time I used a scope was in may years ago in high school so bare with me. When you said 100Vp that would be 200 volts Peak to Peak on AC voltage correct?

Correct.

So how high can one go on the X1 setting in volts? Also, I’m on a Mac Pro Desktop, I assume I will have no problems charging the unit using the USB cable correct? Is there any software available for Mac to upload data from the scope o the computer? Thanks.

Please note that the USB charger is for charging only.
The HPS140 is not equipped with a USB interface for data communication or firmware update.
On the ‘probe x1’-setting, you can measure up to 100Vp (or 200Vpp).
Please use the ‘probe x10’-setting for unknown voltages or voltages close to the limit.

Got it thanks. I will order this little scope soon. Just want to confirm that it will charge properly using a Mac computer. I see no reason why it wouldn’t. Also what it the voltage limit on the probes 10 times setting? Just curious. Can you damage the scope on DC if the polarity is accidentally reversed, or would you just get a negative reading?

Voltage on x10 is theoretically 1000Vp, however, it is limited to the probe specs (see probe manual).
Reversing polarity will not harm the unit if the voltage at the input is less than 100Vp