Readout does not show correct DC voltage

Not sure if the scope is at fault or me… Square wave test works fine (Volt p-p in readout shows 3.304), but I can’t get it to show the DC voltage of a steady source. This is what I have done:

Turn the scope on - input coupling is DC and readout is Vdc
Set input coupling to GND (probes not connected to anything) (I am still not sure what this step does)
Set input coupling back to DC
Connect both probe tip and ground to + and - of 1.5V battery

Result: sudden rise to 5-7 mV (according to readout) then slow curve back down to zero over about 3 seconds. Here is a photo:
imgur.com/a/N0f3h

I have checked this battery with a volt meter and it shows over 1.5V. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Kiernan

Here are the results of the square wave test on x10 probe and x10 input setting:

Input coupling: DC
readout: .068 VDC

input coupling: AC
readout: 1.328 VAC

I couldn’t find any given values for the test wave in the instructions but this is what I got. Still getting the same result when testing a 1.5V battery on DC input coupling and DC readout. Almost looks like the meter is automatically adjusting a zero to the voltage it sees? Is this a setting that I’m not aware of? Please advise.

Kiernan

Well I am about to send this product in to be fixed unless anyone can help me identify the behaviour as some kind of hidden setting or something… I am under time constraints so although the members here seem knowledgeable I cant really wait for a reply any longer.