Problems with functioning HPS10

When using the HPS10 with measuring AC voltage, the HPS10 gives a very low reading. When using a diode, the HPS10 cuts off the AC-signal at the top of the curve instead of positive or negative. The auto-setup function seems to be not working. Perhaps the measuring probe is broken. How can I test the measuring probe?

Can you please elaborate on this problem. At this time, we have no clue what the problem might be. What are you trying to measure ? What do you see. WHhat are the settings ? Does it measure DC ? Try with a battery…

We are using the HPS10 in school (vmbo, vehicle mechanics, pupils at age of 14…16, ) for a lesson in which they have to rectifie an AC-voltage of 28 volt. The big advantage of the HPS10 with AUTO-setting is, that the pupils don’t have to adjust the scope. It is done automatically. At least till 2 weeks ago. I don’t know what happend. Since then the HPS10 is functioning strange. The AUTO-setting does not work anymore. And instead of 28 volt, the HPS10 measures 4,1 mV. When using one diode, the ac-signal should change to dc: the positive (or negative) part of the ac-signal should dissapear. Here the HPS10 acts very strange: The new signal starts with positive sinus-curve. The signal is cut of the top of the positive curve, falls to zero, continues with the negative sinus-curve, is cut off at the negative top of the sinus-curve, falls to zero and continues again with the start of the positive sinus-curve.

I don’t understand it.

Erwin

Did you try a different probe ? Does it measure DC correct ?
If this is not the case, the input circuit probably got damaged, e.g. due to an overvoltage. Return the unit for inspection, as it is not user servicable.

There is a test signal point inside the battery holder at the back of the scope. This would give you a basic check that the probe and the input circuitry were working.

Hi,I am in New Zealand and am curious where to send my HPS10 for repairs as I fear I may have fed high voltage into it whilst in 1x on probe.

You can find the address in your HPS10 manual.

Velleman Instruments Repair Dept.
Legen Heirweg 33
9890 Gavere
Belgium