Printing with k8200 using solidworks

Hi
Is it possible to print directly from solidworks or any other 3D cad program. If I tried to do that program says to add first printer, so how to make Windows to recognise k8200 as 3D printer?

Hi THOR-00,

that’s not possible, since the 3D printer uses a different protocol than a usual printer. You need some kind of software that is able to produce G-code (“slice”) and send it to the printer.

From SolidWorks, you can export your objects in STL format, which is the common input format for the slicing software. The K8200 manual describes how to install the necessary programs using Repetier Host as an example, but since the printer is open source, you can of course also use other programs to control it.

Cheers,
kuraasu

no no I didn’t ment ordinary print, there are 3D PRINT option in solidworks

Hi THOR-00,

I see, sorry for the missunderstanding. However, Windows does not have anything to do with that, since the printer is just a virtual COM port from its point of view. All other settings, i.e. the print volume, speeds, parameters for the firmware etc., have to be set directly in the software that is to control the printer.

On another note: your image host requires a login. Set the file to non-login or use a free hosting site (e.g. postimage.org) instead.

Cheers,
kuraasu

ok, thnx, I thought that Windows just do not understand that driver…

Dear colleague,
youcan very simple save from any solid works version to STL format, then use Repetier (repetier.com/download/) free sotware for print.
This is most easy way fro solidworks.