Printing with ABS transparant

Hi!
I have tried the transparant ABS filament on my printer, o works fine in start, but later on about 5-10 min during printing something happens to the printer nozzle. In some strange way the filament get stucked in the nozzle, I have tried to lower and increase the printing speed, I have also tried to increase the the temp to 260 degrees, but with no result. :confused:

Is there anyone here that knows anything about it?

Ive not yet tried a lot of ABS printing with the vertex, but it may be a problem with the filament heating up too much inside the insulator, particularly where the nozzle touches the ptfe tube. You could try increasing the fan speed(at the risk of causing more warping). Also be very sure you cut the ptfe tube inside the insulator perpendicular and exactly to length. If there is even the tiniest of gaps between that and the nozzle, its gonna jam.

BTW, with a .35mm nozzle, dont expect your prints to be very transparant. You really need a wider nozzle for that.

edit:oops, this is the K8200 forum, not the vertex, my bad. If you are using the stock hotend, the above may still hold true about the insulator. I dont remember the stock hotend very well. I only remember I quickly swapped it for an all metal E3D hotend, which is a lot more suitable for ABS.

Okey I also use The E3D hotend, and I now use a 0,4mm nozzle pipe but I’ll change to a greater dia. Would 0,6-0,8mm be good enough?

I did yesterday change filament to nylon and dis a printingwork and it sucessefully printed it, without any problems etc.

The wider the nozzle, the more transparent the print will be. 0.6 or even 0.8mm would be perfect if what you are printing doesnt require fine detail.

Ive never had any real issues with the E3D printing ABS, so Im not sure what happening there. I have had a lot of problems printing nylon, so congrats on making that work :). The wider nozzle may help with your problem, but you shouldnt need it just for that.

Another guess: could the the ABS be curling up and blocking the extruder?

Okey I will test to change nozzle depending on which dia. have. :slight_smile:

Yeah since I replaced the original hotend from velleman to this E3D hotend I have been able to print with ABS sucessfully. :slight_smile:

I’ve googled about transperant ABS and many says that just this transperant ABS needs a higher temp 260-270 degrees.

But thanks I will post a reply here if it works to change the diameter.