Printer stopped, T°Problem, code M999

Hello,

I recently buy a second hand K8400, fitted with an Mk3 heating bed.

Everything was right and I’ve printed succesfully some PLA small parts.
Two days ago, I manualy drived (with the PC control screen of course) the printing head to the forward right corner of the printing area, to check what’s the clearance for installing a small control cam.
After completing measurement, I used the LCD “autohome” control to send the printing head to his initial position. Unfortunately, during his travel back to home, the printing head hit one of the paperclip maintaining the heating bed glass.
The paperclip didn’t get out immediatly and I’ve heard a “clac clac clac” noise (I suppose that some teeths of the belt jumped) but mainly, when I tried to launch a new print, an error message comes on screen: “Printer stopped due to error. Fix problem and use M999 to restart (Temperature is reset, set it after restarting)”. On the printer’s LCD screen, it was specified: Err: MINTEMP.

First I tried to shutdown everything and to power on again: no changes.
Then I removed the printing head and I noticed that the isolating sleeve around the thermistor lower cable was damaged. I supposed that the nude wire had touched the brass heating block. This thermistor seems not being an original one, but before the incident, it was working. I’ve removed the rest of the isolating sleeve, and the thermistor seems not burned. Is it possible to make a measurement of this component?

Having a spare original thermistor, I’ve installed this one properly, following the Vertex assembly notice.
The error message is still on the PC screen, but on the LCD screen, now it appears “Err: MAXTEMP”.

I tried to reload the firmware (M1.V1.4. H1) above the older one, doing this with Arduino 1.6.4. (Veretex recommend to use Arduino 1.6.0. to proceed, but is this really important?)
During this reloading, I found that the shunt was already installed on the board. Is it recommanded or not to let it in place after the end of loading?
Anyway, I didn’t see nothing happening on the LCD screen during the firmware loading, nor when I followed the next steps (restore failsafe and store memory of the l’EEPROM).

After two days of various searchs on the Web, I’m convinced that problem comes from temperatures readings.
All the more so as in the lower control bar of Repetier, reported temperatures are Extruder 0,0°/Off et Heating bed 0,0°/Off while when everything worked, it was the room temperature who was reported.

Is it possible that the new thermistor is faulty? (I’ve read that someones replaced the original part with other ones more precise and improved the tthermal conductivity with special paste).
Is it possible that a shortcut between the thermistor wire and the brass heating block damaged the main control board?
How to enter the code M999 when the problem will be fixed?

Sorry for the language faults, and thanks a lot for your answers.

salut buffalo64
en premier lieu, poste tes demandes en anglais, je sais, si comme moi tu ne maitrises pas, passe par un traducteur (Google) car ce forum fonctionne principalement dans cette langue et si tu veux un maximum de réponses/ conseils c’est comme cela qu’il faut procéder.
ensuite il faut utiliser la version 1.6.0 pour la mise a jour du firmware, la plus récente pose problème (je n’invente rien, c’est ce que j’ai lu sur ce forum)
la thermistance est facilement vérifiable avec un ohmètre,tu la mesures à vide, ensuite tu la prends entre deux doigts et la résistance varie . je crois me souvenir qu’elle fait a froid 100kohms (a vérifier)
d’après ce que j’ai lu (cf des posts de raby qui est une référence) si après un reset rien ne change, tu dois vérifier toutes tes connexions qui sont vissées( au niveau de la tete d’impression).
voila tout ce que je peux te dire, attention : je ne suis comme toi qu’un gars qui n’y connait pas grand chose et j’ai la chance d’avoir une machine qui ne me pose aucun problème et j’ai beaucoup appris en lisant ce forum.
j’espère avoir pu t’aider un tout petit peu
jean michel

Jean-Michel, thank you for your answer.
So you can see, I posted my message again in English…

For the rest, I just tried to re-start the printer with another PC, with a new Repetier software: no changes.
I’ve loaded Arduino 1.0.6. on this PC, and tried to load the firmware again: no changes.

I’ve measured the two thermistors: all the two gives 110 kOhms on the Ohmmeter, it seems right to me.

Tomorrow, I will carefully inspect all connectors and wirings around the printing head.
I hope it’s not my main control board who’s U/S…

Thanks again!

What are the temps on the display?
Most of the time this indicates a short on the thermistor.

Hello,
Temps on the LCD display where 0°.
Yesterday, I find the solution…
I’m a very stupid guy… after having removed the printing nozzle for the thermistor change, I’ve twisted the wires of the heating cap and those of the thermistor!!!
Now everything goes right.
For those having a similar problem, after fixing of the problem, code M999 must be encoded in the manual control panel, line G-Code. Then press Send and the printer will be reseted.

Thanks to Jean-Michel for the idea of checking wiring and connections.

Ok no problem my friend, the idea came from raby and I’ve only communicated it to you. Very happy that everything is fine now! .
Bonnes impressions !
jean michel

I begin to find some tips, and the result is coming good, printing after printing…
My first print is here (French forum)

pam2013.forumactif.org/t552-ercoupe-1937-1-48

Merci!

Sylvain