Power supply vm206

Hi

I recently got the vm206 and it is going to be used as a simple on/off timer (choose a time where the power is on and then off and then repeat). I got the program to work and it all works fine when its connected to both the PC and the 12V. The problem is that it doesn’t work when it is only connected to the 12V. I can connect the usb input to a normal phone charger so it works without being connected to a pc. Is it possible with the vm206 to only use the 12v or does it have to get power on the usb input aswell.

Yes, this is possible.
The VM206 is designed to operate as a stand-alone device with the 12V supply.

The “Power On” LED should be lit also when only the 12V supply is connected.

What do I have to do to get it to work as a stand- alone device? When it is only connected to the 12V the relay just clicks and the program wont seem to start. The “relay on” led blinks one time and then nothing happens. But as soon as I connect the power via usb it works.

Strange problem.
Have you tried other timing modes?
What happens if you press the Reset button (TST2) and then the Start button (TST1) when only 12V is connected?

Nothing happens when I press the reset button and then the start button.

But with USB connected buttons work OK - strange indeed.
Is it same result if you send other timing mode e.g. mode 4 to the unit?

Have you checked the output voltage of the power supply:
Should be DC.

Yes I have checked the output voltage and it is DC. I can try with another mode and see if it helps.

One possible cause of the problem may be if there is too much ripple voltage at the power supply output.
You may check it using a multimeter on AC range.
Alternatively you can also verify the proper stand-alone operation of the VM206 by using 9V battery connected to the 12V supply connectors.