Petg

Hello everyone
Has someone tried PETG ? can we print with it and k8400 ? what are temperatures for printing it ?
many thanks for your answers
jean-michel

Hi,

i already printed with petg, but only with a E3D V6 Hotend and not with the original Vertex hotends.

The temperature was quite high if i remember correctly. I used 240 °C

But the main problem is to get it to stick to the bed. Even with zebraplate it wouldnt really stick, but i was successfull with a gluestick and then it stuck quite well
to the bed.

After i upgraded to a heated Bed it sticks now without the Gluestick around 60 °C Bed temperature.

And i wouldnt turn the fan to high because the petg is reacting quite hard if the fan is set too high.

Hello
thanks, what can be the problem with original vertex hotend ?
I upgraded my vertex with a heated bed.
what do you think about the result ?
jean-michel

Hi,

I am printing PETG at 220 degrees without heated bed. I use 3DLac directly on the glass. If you have to print large objects, maybe you also have to use the heatbed because of shrinking.
My only problem is to keep the 220 degrees while printing. I lower the fanspeed to 60% to keep the 220 degrees.

good luck

hi svdv
ok thanks, is it really better than abs?
do you print with original vertex hotend ?
jean-michel

I don’t think it’s better than ABS, it depends of the use. I hardly use ABS because of the disgusting smell. But a have a special use for transparant PETG because I print infill-only lampshades with it. PETG is strong, tough and a little bit flexible.
And yes, I use the original hotend without problems.

ok, many thanks for your quick answer!!
i’ll try it
good prints
jean michel

Im printing with PETG from RepRap without a heated bed, and my temperature is 225c. (They recommand 210 - 235c.)
You have to calibrate your flowrate and z-distance correct to make sure it’s not sticking.

My settings is:
Printhead: E3D V6
Temperature: 225c
Flowrate: 75%
Nozzle : 0.4Ø
Z-Distance: Three papers
Brim-mode: Only for larger objects

But you should also be able to print with the standard printhead.
To calibrate your z-distance, take three papers and lay them on top of each other. Then place them on the buildplate, and adjust so your nozzle touch the nozzle. If you move the pepers, you can feel when the nozzle get a grib on the papers.

hi,
ok thanks!!!
jm