PCSU200 O-Scope Calibration and SigGen DC waveforms

I have two issues that I can’t seem to find any information on at this time.
1: The O-scope fails to calibrate regardless of the number of times “Restore Defaults Settings and Exit” is selected. Every calibration fails for 3V/div settings on both channels.
2: I am trying to output a 0v-4v DC squarewave. I haven’t been able to see an offset setting and so created a custom waveform that runs from 0 to 1 (ignoring the -1 side of the waveform). However, the measured output, using a Tektronix O-Scope, has the lower voltage at -1.8 volts and peaking at 2.3 volts, instead of 0V and 4V.

Any suggestions for either issue?
~Andrew~

[quote]1: The O-scope fails to calibrate regardless of the number of times “Restore Defaults Settings and Exit” is selected. Every calibration fails for 3V/div settings on both channels.[/quote] Can you please post the content of the Calibration.log.

[quote]2: I am trying to output a 0v-4v DC squarewave. I haven’t been able to see an offset setting and so created a custom waveform that runs from 0 to 1 (ignoring the -1 side of the waveform). However, the measured output, using a Tektronix O-Scope, has the lower voltage at -1.8 volts and peaking at 2.3 volts, instead of 0V and 4V.[/quote]There is no DC bias at the generator output. All waveforms are “DC zero” biased.

Here is the contents of the most current Calibration Log:
Calibration results:

CH1 offset at 3V/div : 59 FAIL
CH2 offset at 3V/div : 59 FAIL
CH1 offset at 1V/div : -12 OK
CH2 offset at 1V/div : -12 OK
CH1 Y-position low 255
CH1 Y-position mid 128
CH1 Y-position high 223
CH2 Y-position low 255
CH2 Y-position mid 127
CH2 Y-position high 223

Referring to the DC Bias: that would make sense why I couldn’t find one. However, I should be able to “manipulate” a bias by creating a custom waveform right? Or am I mistaken? I would hate to think that the equipment I purchased for digital applications will not work for them.

This is very strange problem. The cause of the problem may be some unknown compatibility problem.
A workaround may be to run the calibration in other PC and copy the PCSU200.INI file from the other PC your PC. The file PCSU200.ini is located in the folder:
C:\Users<username>\AppData\Local\Velleman\PCSU200 (in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and 8).
C:\Program Files\Velleman\PCSU200 (in Windows XP).
Using an external self powered USB HUB may help too.

I’m sorry, the waveforms generated by the PCSU200 are not good for digital circuits due to the negative part of the wave.

I have tried using the self-powered USB hub. (I saw that sugestion on another topic) That didn’t help. I’ll try the cal on another PC and importing the .ini file.

As far as the waveform, I am a bit disappointed, but I’ve been able to design a simple rectifying circuit to use the standard squarewave output. It’s a bandage fix, but it will work for my purposes.

[quote]As far as the waveform, I am a bit disappointed, but I’ve been able to design a simple rectifying circuit to use the standard squarewave output. It’s a bandage fix, but it will work for my purposes.[/quote]I’m happy to see you found a solution how to fix the waveform problem.
I hope the calibration with the other PC succeeds.

To try to identify the problem, can you please give me some info on your current PC: Operating system, processor, speed…?

I am running an ASUS Zenbook UX-31 with a 2nd Gen Intel Core i5 1.7GHz processor, 4G RAM, and Windows 7.

Thank you for the reply.
This is very valuable information when we try to solve the problem.

Your PC is very fast with solid state drive and USB 3.0.

That’s correct. It has both a USB 3.0 & 2.0 and the calibration issue happens on both, with or without the self-powered Hub on either. (I hope that made sense)