PCSU1000 Software on Windows 7 - Program not responding

I loaded software and drivers as per instructions. I set program to run in XP compatibility mode. Still software ends up not responding. It runs in Demo mode (useless) but not when connecting to Scope unit via USB. When I go to setting and set up Hardware and select the scope, first is says Hardware now found and to unplug and plug back in. I do so and do the hardware setup again and select scope again, then it says please wait, the stops responding. Windows 7 device manager sees scope and says it is working properly.

When will there be a real software for Windows 7?

Please help.

Thanks.

Please see this threads for a solution:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11337
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10326

The issues is not with the unit of the USB. Windows sees the unit and the USB device manager shows it as OK. The issue is the PCSU1000GU software. It stops responding the moment it goes to connect with the unit. I have to kill it with Task Manager.

Again, when will you have a Windows 7 version of the software?

Have you downloaded and installed the latest driver and the software from:
velleman.eu/support/download … 1000&type=

You can try following:

• Uninstall the driver.
    You will get a pop up window with “Delete the driver software for this device” check box.
    Select this option to uninstall the driver completely.
  • Unplug and then plug the PCSU1000.
  • Install the driver.

Was helpful solution in this case: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9990

[quote]Again, when will you have a Windows 7 version of the software?[/quote]The latest software works with Windows 7 too.

Yes, that is where I got the latest software and drivers.

I repeated what you indicated. Windows device manager once again says “device is working properly.”

I then run your software (“C:\Program Files (x86)\Velleman\PCLab2000SE\PCSU1000GU.exe”). When I select the unit in the Settings Hardware setup, it says: “Loading, please wait” on black letters over a grey background (on the software’s display screen), then message goes away but not grey background for it. Then software stops responding and I have to kill it with Task manager.

The PCSU1000 may be defective.
Can you test it on other PC?

Just wondering.
What resolution do you run your screen at?

I fired up an old XP machine I had. I am waiting for it to get done updating to install the software there and test. However, support for XP is gone, so I am trying to get rid of the old machine and move to the Windows 7 one.

On my Windows 7 laptop I am running at the display standard of 1366x768

You might try dropping it to 1280 X 1024 or something like that just as a test.

I tried on the XP, and I am getting program not responding as well. A bit odd that the desktop software stops responding if the hardware is not working properly. It could be the unit (have not used it in a while). The channel light does come on in all cases. I saw your previous post about the EPROM programming utility. How do I know whether it is corrupted and how do I know what it should be corrected to?

It seems the PCSU1000 is defective.

[quote]I saw your previous post about the EPROM programming utility. How do I know whether it is corrupted and how do I know what it should be corrected to?[/quote]You can download MProg.exe software and check the EEPROM content of the PCSU1000.
For more details please see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2202&start=15

If the EEPROM is corrupted, you can reprogram it with the MProg.exe.
Here you’ll find the data:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1868

Here are some more info:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11337

I used the tool, and the info shows correct for the EPROM. So at least that part is working. I also tried to un-install the latest software and install the one from the original disk (thinking the firmware on the device was too old to talk to the new software) on my old XP machine. The old software also says loading, please wait, then it just sits there and eventually stops working. Again, how can the software stop working even if the device is bad? Would not the software just say bad device rather than stop responding in windows?

P.S. You have two threads for what values should be in the EPROM. One says USB Version Number = 1, the other that shows an image of the EPROM programming tool shows USB Version = 2.0. Which is correct?

This is what shows for the EPROM:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>

-<FT_EEPROM>
-<Chip_Details>
FT232/245BM
</Chip_Details>
-<USB_Device_Descriptor>
<VID_PID>2</VID_PID>
10CF
USB 2.0
</USB_Device_Descriptor>
-<USB_Config_Descriptor>
-
false
false
true

false
</USB_Config_Descriptor>
-<USB_String_Descriptors>
Velleman
<Product_Description>PCSU1000</Product_Description>
<SerialNumber_Enabled>true</SerialNumber_Enabled>

YE
<SerialNumber_AutoGenerate>true</SerialNumber_AutoGenerate>
</USB_String_Descriptors>
</FT_EEPROM>

The EEPROM content seems to be OK.

For some reason the MProg.exe is parsing and displaying USB version number USB 2.
But if you in the MProg.exe select File -> Save As, then in the saved file there is written:
USB Version Number=1

This is the original “factory” code written to the EEPROM using MProg.exe software:[Basic Details] Device Type=4 VID PID Type=2 USB VID=10cf USB PID=1000 [USB Power Options] Bus Powered=1 Self Powered=0 Max Bus Power=490 [USB Serial Number Control] Prefix= Use Fixed Serial Number=1 Fixed Serial Number=YEL952TL [USB Remote WakeUp] Enable Remote WakeUp=0 [Windows Plug and Play] Enable Plug and Play=1 [USB String Descriptors] Manufacturer=Velleman Product=PCSU1000 [Programming Options] Only Program Blank Devices=0 [BM Device Specific Options] USB Version Number=1 Disable Serial Number=0 IO Pin Pull Down in Suspend=0 Enable Isoch IN Transfers=0 Enable Isoch OUT Transfers=0

Options shown are USB 2.0 and 1.1, which one should it be?

P.S. The XML I posted was the Save as template from the EPROM reader tool

[quote]Options shown are USB 2.0 and 1.1, which one should it be?[/quote]As in the original template file the “USB Version Number=1” is OK.
You should get this if you in the MProg.exe select File -> Save As.[BM Device Specific Options] USB Version Number=1

[quote]P.S. The XML I posted was the Save as template from the EPROM reader tool[/quote]Yes, I noticed that.
I got this:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <FT_EEPROM> <Chip_Details> <Type>FT232/245BM</Type> </Chip_Details> <USB_Device_Descriptor> <VID_PID>2</VID_PID> <idVendor>10CF</idVendor> <idProduct>1000</idProduct> <bcdUSB>USB 2.0</bcdUSB> </USB_Device_Descriptor> <USB_Config_Descriptor> <bmAttributes> <RemoteWakeupEnabled>false</RemoteWakeupEnabled> <SelfPowered>false</SelfPowered> <BusPowered>true</BusPowered> </bmAttributes> <IOpullDown>false</IOpullDown> <MaxPower>490</MaxPower> </USB_Config_Descriptor> <USB_String_Descriptors> <Manufacturer>Velleman</Manufacturer> <Product_Description>PCSU1000</Product_Description> <SerialNumber_Enabled>true</SerialNumber_Enabled> <SerialNumber> </SerialNumber> <SerialNumberPrefix>YE</SerialNumberPrefix> </USB_String_Descriptors> </FT_EEPROM>

By the way, there is no more MProg.exe. Been replaced by FT_Prog and it saves the template files in XML. It now shows USB 2.0 or 1.1 as the options to choose from.

I chose 1.1, and still no joy. I then manually replaced 1.1 with 1 in the XML, and still no joy:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>

-<FT_EEPROM>
-<Chip_Details>
FT232/245BM
</Chip_Details>
-<USB_Device_Descriptor>
<VID_PID>2</VID_PID>
10CF
USB 1
</USB_Device_Descriptor>
-<USB_Config_Descriptor>
-
false
false
true

false
</USB_Config_Descriptor>
-<USB_String_Descriptors>
Velleman
<Product_Description>PCSU1000</Product_Description>
<SerialNumber_Enabled>true</SerialNumber_Enabled>
YEL952TL
YE
<SerialNumber_AutoGenerate>false</SerialNumber_AutoGenerate>
</USB_String_Descriptors>
</FT_EEPROM>

Still can’t fathom why the software would stop working when there may be issues with the device.