No wifi connection

I bought a WFS210 and charged the battery fully. I then switched it on and got the slow blinking hotspot light. I saw the WFS210 network on an iPad Mini and was able to connect to it. However I cannot get a link between the app and the unit. I have erased the app and re-downloaded it to no effect. Have not seen any LED other than the slow blinking hotspot light. I tried a full-size iPad but got exactly the same result. What can I try? I do not own a PC.

Hmm strange behavior. Check with an wifi analyzer app if there aren’t to much nearby wifi’s on the same channel as the WFS210

Do you need to disconnect it from your router before connecting it to the WFS210.
I don’t think you can have 2 connections at one time.

Just a thought.

The WFS210 is an access point indeed.

But OP stated: [quote=“derekr”]I saw the WFS210 network on an iPad Mini and was able to connect to it.[/quote]
So i think he did changed his wifi connection.

It was just a thought.

I took the device to a house where there are no surrounding homes, turned off the house wifi so only the WFS210 network ran. Can connect to the WFS210 network that shows up on the iPad (tried three different iPads) but the middle and right LEDs never light. So it does not seem to be an interference issue causing the lack of a link between the WFS210 and the iPad.

I then borrowed a Windows laptop and installed the software. I can connect via USB and the scope works that way (via USB). It also works via the PC software on Wifi. I get all three lights once I use the PC software to connect via Wifi - and it works.

It simply will not connect to the iPad. I notice that, on the PC software, when you click Connect via Wifi the box that comes up indicates port 2000. I am assuming the iPad app has that port as its default for connection. Finally, even when connected to Wifi via the PC software the Wifi info channel section is greyed out - surely, once connected, I should be able to change the Wifi channel?

Anything I’m missing or could I have a faulty base unit?

UPDATE: I entered the 169.254.1.1 server address and port 2000 in the Manual Proxy option of the WFS210 connection settings screen on the iPad Mini and now I have a solid 'Hotspot light as well as a solid ‘Link’ light and a blinking middle light. But the scope does not work although the Settings wheel on the app is now updated with Channel number, App Version etc. So, progress…

Do I need to enable Authentication and enter a Username and Password?

If you could connect to the WFS210 trough wifi via the PC then your unit is likely OK.
Which iOS version are you running on the iPad?

Best Regards,
VEL337

[quote=“VEL337”]If you could connect to the WFS210 trough wifi via the PC then your unit is likely OK.
Which iOS version are you running on the iPad?

Best Regards,
VEL337[/quote]

Version 8.3

FWIW, if I connect on the PC via wifi I get a solid left and right light and a flickering center light. And the scope appears to be working. This status appears steady - i.e does not drop out.

If I use the iPad with the Manual proxy settings applied I get the right light lighted as soon as I connect to the WFS210 hotspot, i.e before launching the app. I do not get a center light at all. When I launch the app I am not getting the center light flickering and there seems to be only occasional connection between the app and the unit. The connection also seems to drop out and reconnect randomly. The iPad is not more than two feet from the unit. And, at no time, has the iPad scope worked with this connection.

And, of course, if I do not use the Manual Proxy settings I get only the left light and it doesn’t seem to connect.

On a sidenote:[quote]Finally, even when connected to Wifi via the PC software the Wifi info channel section is greyed out - surely, once connected, I should be able to change the Wifi channel?[/quote]The WFS210 has a smart algorithm to choose the best WiFi channel during boot

Really strange.
We’ve tested here with an iPad air (iOS 8.3) and WFS210 with both the old and new firmware are working fine.
You don’t have to set a proxy to get a connection.
Here is screenshot of the WFS210 network setting

Best Regards,
VEL337

Altough unlikely, to make sure it’s not hardware related bring back your unit to your distributor for an exchange.
This will rule out any hardware fault.

Could you also make a video on how you connect to the WFS210 with your iPad (Mini)?

Best Regards,
VEL337

Yes, I’d like to return the unit to rule out a hardware issue. Unfortunately, I bought the unit in Canada from Sayall Inc but I live in the Caribbean. Also, and this I found odd, Sayall told me that they would not accept returns unless the unit was dead out of the box. So I’m in an odd position - I suspect it is a hardware issue but not able to return the unit to Sayall.

I’ll do a video if you like but I get the identical screen on the iPad Mini once it connects. And I can ping the WFS210.

If your distributor does not accept returns, you can return the unit direct to Velleman.
Your closest support center is located in TX, USA.
You can reach them at (817) 284 77 85

Thanks, appreciated. I will give them a call.

Are you able to test with an iPad Mini, retina display model with iOS 8.3? Just to rule out that possibility? I did try with an older, full-size iPad and got the same result as the Mini.

We tested here with an iPad air

I have the same problems as derekr.
On an Android (4.4.2) Hudl, It just disconnects after a little time (10s - 5 min) when connected it has no control, the buttons seem to work but there is no signal control and the timebase is not affected. No signal is recieved and the red LEDs center and right hardly ever light (center never). I have wasted quite a few hours on this and am very unimpressed with the lack of support. Why can’t I get an update to the version of the Android app (V1) I have (and have reloaded).
If it’s a firmware fix then put out a proper fix with instructions and if it’s just the App then put out a fixed version. (the Google store has only V1).
I work with profesional equipment and “most of the time” fixes and upgrades are done well, I should have realized that Vellman is not for the profesional and is for the hobieist to spend weeks fiddling with and finding a sence of achievment if they get the thing to work. I want to use it out of the box.
Will