No connection to pc.. SOLVED. Bad solder on board

I have spent 3 whole days now trying to install the “usb serial” driver. It will NEVER show up in the devicemanager.

I have tried:
New pc with a asrock extreme3 gen3 motherboard, both with serial option set on and off in bios.
This i have tried with clean xp pro install, both SP2 and SP3.
The “usb serial” driver installs but will not show up anytime as showed in the k8200 manual. It should look almost the same in xp as
in win7. No show in either “COM&LPT” or unders USB.

I then tried on an old HP compaq 7100 with P4 cpu.
Clean xp install SP2 with latest chipset drivers from HP. Same there, no luck in installing the “usb serial” driver. Installs ok but does
not show up in devicemanager.

No “ding dong” sound either when inserting the USB cable from the printer. All other USB devices “ding dong” when inserted/removed.

Also tried 3 different USB cables, tried installing in different order, forcing COM1 to use “usb serial driver” etc…

I would say this is a serious problem when so many people have problems with the driver/usb.

The 2? leds by the usbport on the printerboard never lights up. Just the green above twice then goes out.
The .425v adjustments worked so there is power.

I DON’T want to have to learn LINUX or buying a MAC.

This sounds like a broken controller board. I’d suggest you to contact the support center for a replacement.
By the way: My printer works fine under Windows. You will not have to use Linux nor OS X.

One thing you could try until you get a replacement: Install the Arduino IDE and try if you can reflash the firmware. If that works, change the baudrate from 250000 to 115200 in the [i]configuration.h[i] file. It’s know that certain operation systems have issues with 250000 baud, but usually that only applied to Linux so far.
I don’t expect any real result from this, but it’s worth a try.

~ Tectu

Should say that i get the firmware response message when connecting printer via “virtual com” in repetier.

Arduino IDE what? reflash firmware with what firmware? Is this same firmwares i can find on repetier homepage?

Check the power supply
Make sure it’s providing 15 volts
Also try a different USB cable

I found the problem.
After some inspecting i found that the rightmost leg on the usb contact was bad soldered. There were no contact
with the motherboard, so no power to the board. . So i soldered it and voila’, everything works.

This could be the same problem everybody else is having.

I had a response when using wrong comport and i did get the versionstring from the board.
The green led flashed 2 times but then nothing.

After my fix, the two leds by the usb port lights up, i get the “ding-dong” sound when plugging in.
Now does everything work, all motors, extruder etc…
Starting my first test now :slight_smile:

Glad to hear it’s working now.

Happy printing!!