No admission

I just bought your VM201’2 relay card. It shows the IP address to be 192.168.0.100, but when I enter this address in the Mozilla Firefox browser, I get the message: No connection.

I have connected the PC to the relay card using the supplied Ethernet cable.

What is wrong?

Are you sure that the PC and the VM201 are in the same network?
What is the local IP address of your PC?

[quote=“VEL337”]Are you sure that the PC and the VM201 are in the same network?
What is the local IP address of your PC?[/quote]

Thank you for the message. It could be the problem.

When I connect the PC to my LAN, the IP address is .

What do I have to do to connect the VM201?

i think you posted your public IP address.

You can get your local IP address by opening command prompt.
Start -> command prompt
Type ipconfig and press enter

Your local IP address is that what on the “IPv4 Address” line

Best Regards,
VEL337

[quote=“VEL337”]i think you posted your public IP address.

You can get your local IP address by opening command prompt.
Start -> command prompt
Type ipconfig and press enter

Your local IP address is that what on the “IPv4 Address” line

Best Regards,
VEL337[/quote]

Thank you. The Ipv4 address is 192.168.50.46. So what now?

The VM201 is 192.168.0.100 your pc is 192.168.50.46 that means they are not in the same network.
Do you have a special network setup?

[quote=“VEL337”]The VM201 is 192.168.0.100 your pc is 192.168.50.46 that means they are not in the same network.
Do you have a special network setup?[/quote]

No, I don’t have a special network set up, the question is: How can I have the PC and the VM201 working in the same network)

Thats strange…
is your pc connected via wifi or by cable?
Can you explain how everything is connected in your home network?

[quote=“VEL337”]Thats strange…
is your pc connected via wifi or by cable?
Can you explain how everything is connected in your home network?[/quote]

The PC is connected via a cable directly from a 4-port switch, which again is connected to a router, which is connected to a broadband internet connection.

When I try to test the VM201, I remove the cable from the 4-port switch to the PC, and I connect the VM201 directly to the PC. So I understand the Velleman short form instructions included in the package.

So if you connect the VM201 directly to your PC can you access the relay card?

No, this is the problem. I am using the Mozilla Firefox browser, enter “192.168.0.168” in the field top left, and get a “no connection possible” message. I am using the supplied Ethernet cable.

Ok, I’ve talked with the designer and its normal when you connect the VM201 directly to your PC it won’t work.
This is because the cable supplied with the VM201 is not a crosslink cable.

So if you want to connect the VM201 from your network connect the VM201 to the switch with supplied cable.
Wait untill the VM201 gets a different IP address than 192.168.0.100 because 192.168.0.100 is the default address the VM201 takes when it didn’t get an address from the router.

I think in your sitation it should be 192.168.50.xxx, try connecting to that IP address

Best Regards,
VEL337

[quote=“VEL337”]Ok, I’ve talked with the designer and its normal when you connect the VM201 directly to your PC it won’t work.
This is because the cable supplied with the VM201 is not a crosslink cable.

So if you want to connect the VM201 from your network connect the VM201 to the switch with supplied cable.
Wait untill the VM201 gets a different IP address than 192.168.0.100 because 192.168.0.100 is the default address the VM201 takes when it didn’t get an address from the router.

I think in your sitation it should be 192.168.50.xxx, try connecting to that IP address

Best Regards,
VEL337[/quote]

Thank you very much, VEL337, it worked! Maybe you should write a notice in your instructions about it, or include a Ethernet cross cable instead of the patch cable.

Jorgen Jensen
Denmark

Great to hear it’s working =)

But one question if i look on the manual of the VM201 i don’t see anything about connecting the VM201 to the PC.
Could you show me where you found that sentence or image?

Best Regards,
VEL337

These days, no network device should ever be connected directly to a computer. This was only done in the past when people had a single modem connection and routers were not common.

Nowadays, routers hand out ip addresses to each device. So simply connecting the VM201 to your router, then powering on your VM201, and visiting the IP address that it displays is all it takes, very simple.

[quote=“VEL448”]These days, no network device should ever be connected directly to a computer. This was only done in the past when people had a single modem connection and routers were not common.

Nowadays, routers hand out ip addresses to each device. So simply connecting the VM201 to your router, then powering on your VM201, and visiting the IP address that it displays is all it takes, very simple.[/quote]

Hello, and thank you for the messages. Honestly, I find nothing in your short form instructions about how to connect the VM201 to the internet.

I leaned the lesson, and thank you so much for your assistance.

Best regards.

Jorgen