New upgrade for k8200

i heard there will be a new upgrade available soon for a direct drive extruder, but all the PLA we have bought will not be useful anymore then, is there a way to solve this problem?

[quote=“AÄronR”]i heard there will be a new upgrade available soon for a direct drive extruder[/quote]Indeed it’s the same extruder and print head as in the Vertex (hence 1.75 mm).

[quote=“AÄronR”]but all the PLA we have bought will not be useful anymore then, is there a way to solve this problem?[/quote]If you want a direct drive extruder you can adapt another one like the Bulldog accepting the 3 mm filament. But you’ll also need a hot end like the E3DV6.

Unfortunately the direct drive upgrade for the K8200 is only suited for 1.75mm filament.
I guess you will have to work your way through your 3mm supply before upgrading :slight_smile:
Do you really have such a large supply of 3mm PLA?
I’d recommend not to buy too much PLA at once, to make sure it is always fresh.
Not sure what the typical shelf life is…

I’m quite happy with my 3mm E3D mod, so no need to change.

But i wouldn’t try to make a 3mm direct drive extruder.
With a non geared stepper it will have way too less force, and a geared stepper is a bit of an overdose i think.

cheers,

Christian

i got 8 rolls of different plastics, so that is a bit stupid… :frowning:
can’t you “convert” the plastic to 1.5 mm?

[quote=“AÄronR”]i got 8 rolls of different plastics, so that is a bit stupid… :frowning:
can’t you “convert” the plastic to 1.5 mm?[/quote]

Why not simply use a 3mm hotend like the E3D?

i dont like to thinker that much to my printer, i like the standard things :slight_smile:

You could wait to do the upgrade until you use all of the 3mm

haha, i calculated it, i would last 2 years :slight_smile:

You could start making a bunch of useless animals and give them away for Christmas.
LOL

or somebody could buy some rolls?
any ideas to print? usefull things?

Valentines day the year before last I made a bunch of roses in different colors from thingivers for my wife.
That made me look real good in her eyes.
This year I made some vases.

I think she was happy that I made them instead of buying flowers at a very high cost that will die.

Hi, you can direct drive 3mm filament with the MK8 drive gear.

is that the new extruder?

Could you expand on that Barnabybear?

If 8 rolls are at stake, start saving your failed/obsolete prints.

Once you have $500 or more in weight of plastic, reinvest the replacement cost into an extruder.

I don’t see why you can’t chop the 3mm into pellets and extrude it at 1.75mm.

Check this out: thingiverse.com/thing:380987

I’ve been waiting to reach my break-even point to start this project.