New stepper motors 0.9°

I’m planning to switch to 0.9° stepper motors instead of the 1.8°.
But I expect that something have to be modified in the firmware.
But have no clue where or what.

The K8200 has DRV8825 stepper drivers with heatsinks mounted.

Any ideas?

You would have to double the values for steps/mm to correct the movement for a switch from
1.8° to 0.9° stepper motors. Basically that’s all. But you might run into trouble at fast movements,
cause the motors now need double the steps/time interval for the same movement.

Speed is not so important, and ok that the values have to be doubled to achieve the mm
It’s normal that a 0.9° stepper runs slower but does the software support 0.9° stepper motors so that the movement from the X-Y
stepper is indeed the half of 1.8° steppers.
And what about the extruder?
Does the software supports a mixing of 0.9° and 1.8° steppers?

But I suspect that something has to change within the software to get the full specs from a 0.9° stepper.

It is absolutely possible to mix steppers with different angle.
I have a 0.9° one for the Z axis and left the rest at 1.8° from stock.

You don’t need to change the firmware for adjusting the steps/mm. The values are stored in the controller EEprom.
To change them you can use repetier’s EEprom menu or send the G-gode commands to stor the new values to the printer manually.

0.9° steppers not run slower as such, simply the controller wouldn’t be able to calculate and send the step commands
fast enough for high resolution steppers at very fast speeds.

Z-axis: using a stepper motor 0.9°

If I let the Z-axis move 100 mm upwards , then it moves 25mm

if I enter firmware eeprom configuration and I set the Z value to 8533 based on the calculation under tools etc but as soon when it’s saved to the eeprom, then the motor doesn’t turn anymore, okay the motor receives power but the ax does not turn, the motor is just humming.
In fact, if I choose full step (266/267) then the same.

I’m using K8200 rev3 so should support the DRV8825 driver.

As soon when the eeprom is set back to factory settings, then the motor works but wrong mm distance again.

additional info:

Voltage setting : 0,91V according the K8400 manual using the DRV8825
The motor stays at position so one step right, one step left and so on.

Uhm, are we talking about a VERTEX?
You posted under K8200.

No it’s a K8200 but the motors refuse to turn around at 0.55 V
At 0.9V neither.

I suspect that the main board is defective.

I have a new board ordered, a megatronics V3.0 with LCD

Did you double check that you connected the motors correctly?
The new motors may use different wire colors.

Velleman motors are the 42BYGHW811

The 0.9° steppers 42BYGHM809

First winding Black/Green
Second winding Red/Blue

Color wires are identical of these motors, slightly variation but still Black/Green Red/Blue

I found this out the hard way. I built myself a second K8200 with the goal of running dual extruders on it. When I tested the initial build I noticed that the x axis was compressed to 1/2 scale. Test prints were a gooey mess because the wrong amount of material was being extruded for the actual volume of the compressed print.

It turns out that I had unintentionally substituted 0.9-degree steppers for all but the y axis, which was built with the “correct” 1.8-degree motor. This meant that I needed to double the DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT value for every affected motor - including the extruders, and now everything is working nicely. Print speed does not seem to have been impacted, but I’ve changed too many variables to say for certain.

I think I am going to upgrade my y axis to also use a 0.9, primarily for consistency, but also for the improved step resolution.

I don’t know if this is a slicing artifact or the effect of increased stepper motor resolution.

I have a 0.9-degree stepper on the x axis and the stock 1.8-degree stepper on the y axis. As I was printing this small cat figure I noticed some visible banding happening along the y axis only. So I went right back and rotated it 90-degrees in Repetier and reprinted it.

The banding stayed on the y axis. Could the 1.8-degree steppers really be that coarse?

See for yourself… In the first picture, the lighting emphasizes the banding along each print’s y axis. In the second picture the two cats are swapped and now appear smoother in those same areas.

If this is true, installing 0.9-degree steppers on the x and y axis would seem like a worthwhile upgrade. (I doubt that it makes as much impact for the z axis or the extruders.)

Has anyone else tried this?

For X and Y use always the same steppers.
Z-axis may be different and extruder stepper also.

The software is always using microsteps if selected.

Yes, I do realize that. I didn’t intend to use 0.9-degree steppers at all, but substituted them into the build by accident. As long as the STEPS_PER_UNIT is set correctly for each motor, mix-and-match doesn’t seem to cause any real problems.

For x and y on the K8200, the steps goes from 64.25 to 128.5. I think this is not past the point of diminishing returns. The z axis already has so much excess resolution that it adds less value to upgrade there.

My question is whether the banding is caused by the motor resolution or by the slicer? I guess I’ll know the answer after I swap out the other motor.