New HPS140I - Probe Question

Hi

Just got a new HPS140i with Probe.
This is my first every Oscilloscope and also the first one I’ve ever user.

Can someone either point me to a link or give some instructions on usage and what all the bits are?
I will be using on low voltage circuits but want to be careful of what I do should I decide to monitor my mains 240v.

Paul

The EDU06 is a nice low-cost tool to learn the basic of o-scopes.
All experiments are performed using the HPS140 and they are documented on Youtube.
http://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?id=387510

I’ve looked on YouTube at plenty of videos before I purchased the item.
There is nothing about the actual probes.
There are lots of little attachments etc. a switch between 1x and 10x which is obviously for higher voltages but nothing to say what you should do with them.
If I want to connect to my 220v supply what do you do to the probe?

Information that is highly needed for safety as well as not damaging the unit.
You can’t expect to not cover the unit under warranty if you do not give proper operator instructions.

Even a mobile phone the manual tells users not what to do with it as it wouldn’t be covered under warranty.

If you’re new to electronics and Oscilloscopes, as i am too (at least i know how to use a scope) go to youtube.

There’s plenty of videos of how to use and what to do and NOT to do with them.

Check out EEVBlog for instance:
youtube.com/watch?v=xaELqAo4kkQ

There are also much videos on using scopes or scope reviews as well on that channel.

Just make sure to set the probe to ‘x10’ when you measure 230VAC circuits and keep your left hand in your pocket at all times.
The HPS140 also features a ‘x10’ option, so the displayed voltage will be correct.

Thanks that’s a bit better.
If I were to measure main then I still use the probe the same way but switch the switch over to 10x?

What are the little yellow plastic parts for?

In most cases, probes do not come with instructions.
They are considered to be specialized equipment so they assume that people who buy them know how to use them.

Usually, probe manufacturers supply a small clip that goes around the cable, to make it easier to identify different probes.
Also, they sometimes supply a small cap that goes over the tip, to make it easier to measure on IC pins